earth bonding at main ,copper tails then plastic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if any of you sparks would clear this one up for me.Example

Incoming water main is obviously blue plastic , if the next 1m or so of tails up to sink/dishwasher etc in copper then rest of plumbing in all plastic apart from boiler of course. Question is does this require earth bonding at point of entry to copper part or ok without. Gas has been bonded ,but not incoming water is this correct or not ? Cheers

Sponsored Links
how far back can you be certain that the waterpipe is plastic?

if it's plastic from the street at least, then how is it introdicing an earth potential into the zone?

can you not just change the short copper section to plastic?

sorry to hijack the post but my question is similar, i fit a lot of sure stops to incoming mains as part of kitchen renewal contracts for councils, as the sure stop is completely plastic where should the electrician put his ME bond? before or after the plastic sure stop, if before it will be connected to incoming copper, but pipework after sure stop will not be earthed, and if connected after the sure stop the internal pipework will be earthed but not to external, or would it need to be linked either side of the sure stop to completely earth everything
ta

how far back can you be certain that the waterpipe is plastic?

if it's plastic from the street at least, then how is it introdicing an earth potential into the zone?

can you not just change the short copper section to plastic?

Sorry if it was unclear but it is a brand new dwelling, water is blue plastic MDPE up to point of entry then on in copper to sink etc, this is then carried on with plastic to the rest of dwelling electrician says no earth required as the rest of the house is in plastic is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is correct, no need to bond as instalation is plastic. The small part of copper would only need bonding if it was in anyway at earth potential. Your sparky would have checked this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back