Completing Domestic Installation Certs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was some discussion here very recently & yet more not long ago about having "LIMS" on these certs.

As far as I'm concerned, I cannot tick some boxes if I cannot inspect all areas of an installation, ie safe zones, proximity of non-electrical services etc...

However, if you cannot verify these things, how can you be certain it is safe to re-instate power after (for eg) a board change?

What do you lot think?

Sponsored Links
Surely your schedule of inspections only applies to the work you ahve carried out as described in the extent of works field, rather than the whole installation, surely the only time it applies to anything other than work you have carried out is on a periodic?

That is as I understand it.

However, my QS says that the check boxes must be filled in ??????

for a board change for eg i put n/a and an asterix, then in comments i write "I have not installed final circuit cables and therfore cannot verify their routing"

Sponsored Links
If that is directed at me, I'm not using a PIR form but an EIC.

No worries, thought that might have been a Q for someone else.

You should be able to complete all boxes on an EIC with either a tick, cross or N/A - never with a LIM though.

What's the job you've carried out? Board change? If so then the EIC will relate to exactly that - the installation of the new consumer unit. Any final circuits should ideally have been verified previously and their condition documented on a PIR.

for a board change for eg i put n/a and an asterix, then in comments i write "I have not installed final circuit cables and therfore cannot verify their routing"

Nine times out of ten I would have changed the main tails when changing a consumer unit so any inspection boxes for routing etc would be ticked (for the nine times, N/A for the other time!). This would relate to only the work I've carried out as detailed in the 'Extent of the installation covered by this certificate' box on page 1.
There's no need for any asterisks - you've either installed cables or you haven't.

That is as I understand it.

However, my QS says that the check boxes must be filled in ??????
He is suppose to supply the documentation on original fitting and if he does you can copy the info across if you like with a note from original installation cert.

If he fails on his part to supply documentation before job starts then you in turn can't enter details.

It is a hard one as often original documents are missing and owner does not want to pay for full PIR. And even if they did you can't find route. My son had his firm wanting 6181Y etc put against all the cables and he had to dig in his heals and say I can't identify cable types from amount of cable I can see. What they wanted was any old number ticking and if you ticked 6181Y instead of 6181B they were not worried so he ticked the thermal plastic one each time and looked for new job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back