Short Circuit Between Earth & Neutral

LWC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst installing a new ring main in our converted garage I noticed that there was a short circuit between the earth and the neutral. Thinking that I had done something wrong I traced the short back to the CU. It was nothing to do with the wiring that I had added but and the fault(?) already existed.

I have searched many forums on information about this problem and I am confused. Should there be a short circuit between the neutral and the earth or do I have a problem that needs resolving?

Please can someone help as I really do not know if there is a genuine problem or not.

Sponsored Links
The "short-circuit" is probably the earth neutral link on a PME/TN-C-S incoming supply, where the earth and neutral are combined inside the service fuse block, to give a good earthing facility of low "loop impedance".

Try turning off the mainswitch, and measuring the neutral earth resistance (it should be open circuit), and then turn on the mainswitch, but ensure fuses are out or breakers off, and measure again, it should be very low, perhaps 0.05 of an ohm at the fusebox.

Do you know what kind of earthing arrangement you have?

TN-S or TN-C-S for example.

In TN-C-S Earth and Neutral are combined and are at the same potential.
In TN-S the earth uses the REC's supply cable sheath back to the star point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back