Dreaded blanketweed in the pond!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my pond is abut 8' by 4', around 3' deep and sort of kideny shaped. It's in a south facing garden, but is not exposed ot direc sun all the time as it is in shade from the neighbours garage for half the day. No trees overhang it. Last year, I was cursed by blanketweed, so I have emptied the pond, changed the liner, put a bigger filter box with UV lighting on, chucked out all the old plants, and put new ones in. But.....it's back!!! I've got barley straw in the water as well as a couple of small carp that are supposed to eat the stuff....anyone got any wonder cures for the "curse of the weed"?

Sponsored Links
I have a bottle of snake oil that may work. :LOL:

There is no known 100% g'teed cure for blanket weed in a pond. Only thing you can do is use a stick to get it out as and when :cry:

I have a large koi pond and was troubled with blanket weed the first couple of years.

The problem is that it is very diffucult to find a solution that will work with your own set up, its all about trial and error. What works for me, might not work for you.

A UV will have no effect on blanket weed, only 'green water'

You need to remove the nitrates from your pond, no nitrates and you will have no blanket weed.

There are some new products which you can try, Cloverleaf do a very good one which releases bacteria that eat the nitrates before the blanket weed does, so the blanket weed actually starves

I used something called Clarasan which got rid of it within a fortnight and it has never come back. Problem is, it is now illegal to sell it but there are some imitation poducts which are not too bad

Sponsored Links
I had a pond with the same problem, so my wife bought an electronic device that you attached to the pipe work after the UV. It seemed to work OK. I've now got a few Call ducks on it and they eat it all.

an electronic device that you attached to the pipe work after the UV. It seemed to work .

blagblanketw.jpg

Other suppliers of electronic blanket weed killer are available

snake oil is better.

These have been proven to be a waste of money, they claim to cure almost everything to do with water hardness, limescale, make engine fuel better etc, none worked

My koi pond has alway been troubled by blanket weed. I think you will find that most ponds have it to some degree. In the past I have always used Pond Balance at the appropriate dose to keep the weed at bay, however, two years ago this stopped working for me. Last year I used the new Cloverleaf product at half the recommended dose intially, this almost cleared the blanket weed so at the next application I used slightly more and only needed that dose to keep the pond blanketweed free for the whole of the year. I started off at half dose becasue of information from koi pond forums I had read. If you have a look on the koiquest site there is a load of useful information, especially if you keep koi.

Good luck.

Mike - is it a wildlife pond or one for Koi? I've no experience of Koi but have had my wildlife pond in for about 25 years. I get the dreaded weed every year ... it starts to appear about now (saw it this morning) normally after the Spring hosepipe top-up. Because mine's a wildlife pond I use a bamboo cane to fish it out to keep it under control and wait 'till the pond seems to get into a state of 'balance' ... usually about a month or so. The advantage of using a cane is you can be selective and sympathetic to the pond life ... use a rake and everything gets scooped-up and dies. I used a chemical (can't remember what it was called) for one season years ago but discontinued 'cos it didn't seem the 'right thing' to do ... that old chemical v nature conundrum. Anyway, what better way to spend ½ an hour after work than pond dipping.

HI, it is neither Koi not wildlife! More ornamental, with just 3 good size goldfish and a small carp ( I had two but one died). I think I'll put some more fish in this Spring, but as winter has returned this morning, not sure when that will be! There are lots of frogs who have been having their annual fun...There are a few plants, some lillies. I think I probably need more, but I made the BIG mistake of not levelling the ldges when I dug it out, so any plants I put on the ledges in baskets simply fall off! Hey ho.

BTW, and referring previous posts, I've ordered some of the Cloverleaf BLanket Answer product - bought via eBay at much less cost than via Cloverleaf site....

You need to reduce the nitrates, either by heavy planting, nitrate removing resins or regular water changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back