Cleaning Flux off pipes Ready for Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had all my 1972 rads changed, unfortunately to a different size so the plumbing needed changing also

Tomorrow i'm going to paint the pipes and was wondering what would be the best way to clean the pipes ready for paint

Matt

Sponsored Links
Im betting the best way would be to use a bit of soapy water and then a bit of methylated spirit to ensure the surface is free from grease/dust.

Thanks for the reply Steve, i'll try that

Burnt flux seems really sticky, so hopefully that will work ;)

Matt

Sponsored Links
try a bit of sandpaper or better still, wire wool. that should clean your pipes up a treat ready for paint.

well, its the plumbers way to clean copper pipes before...so its just as good at cleaning after !

use the wire wool to clean the copper pipe till it shines....then dry off with kitchen towel.....then with a cloth with meths on it...wipe the area and allow to dry...shouldnt take long as it evaporates quickly. Dont have your heating on as meths is flammable (unlikely that it would combust anyway but safety 1st)

Dont have your heating on when painting or you will end up with a gooey mess that runs everywhere. Paint when pipes are cold.

Use self undercoating gloss (presuming your doing em white)...saves having to prime.

The easiest way to remove flux is with flux. especially powerflow flux seems like a better cleaner then LACO flux.

Apply small amounts of flux to a cloth and apply to pipe leave on for a few minutes and then buff off making sure you remove it all go ove it again with damp soapy cloth and when dry give it a wire wool over.

Its really easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back