Position of window frame WRT wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the relplacement windows at various houses in our road, I have noticed a wide variation in how the replacement window frames have been positioned by the companies involved.

In many cases the frame of a bay is positioned further into the house than the origonal was. On one house the sill is not even protuding enough to drip water away from the wall.

With a non bay window, the postition of the frame will be dictated by the fitters' judgement and the sill size, but with a bay window, the posistion will be dictated by the overall size that is was built to at the factory.

So far I have not been able to find guidelines to how windows should be postioned.

Does anyone know of a source of info on this subject?

Sponsored Links
The frame position is normally governed by the wall below, and also by the design at the reveals - ie the position of the vertical DPC

This will determine whether the internal or external face of the frame is aligned with the external corner of the reveal

Sponsored Links
The frame position is normally governed by the wall below, and also by the design at the reveals - ie the position of the vertical DPC

This will determine whether the internal or external face of the frame is aligned with the external corner of the reveal

'fraid that went over my head, this is a solid 9" brick wall house and this is the only wall type I have expereince of, there are no vertical DPCs and can you beleive I don't even know what a reveal is. I will need to look it up later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back