Viessmann 'F5' problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boilers been in place in my flat for a little over 2 years. Had the F4 fault in december resulting in the PCB & spark generator being replaced.

Everything has been fine until Friday just gone, when we awoke to no H/HW.

After contacting Viessmann (who replaced the PCB & spark generator previously) about the F5 fault they declined to come out due to it being a different fault and put me through to technical to find out what exactly 'F5' is.

Apparently F5 is due to a sticking flap of some variety? The guy did tell me to "unbolt" something on the outlet and "drop the fan out" and clean it out. Then reset it and it should work but I'm a little confused on what to do. Obviously, if it involves the outlet on the wall outside then I can't get to it as I live 3 floors up.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The F5 fault is a common fault code on that model of boiler when they get a few years old.

It usually results from part inside which is colloquially called the fan-ny flap which sticks. They are not fitted on later boilers and many engineers remove them from out of warrantee boilers. It can also be the APS or result from water entering the flue so that actual cause does need to be diagnosed.

Its relatively easy for a boiler engineer to diagnose and repair repair but as it is a part of the gas combustion equipment and needs a gas connection onto the gas valve to be disconnected then the obvious advice is to get a competent CORGI.

Are you in Foleshill?

Tony Glazier

Ah! Well the guy at Viessmann could have told me it involves the gas! :eek:
I'm in Coundon by the way.

Sponsored Links
Haha! I've heard about that place.. meant to be nice food. It's all about Sonar Gaon for me!

Are you busy by any chance? :LOL:

Don't fancy paying £190 to Viessmann for the privelege of someone cleaning my "fan-ny flap" ;)

The food there is VERY good although its not cheap.

The house wine at £9.95 is a 13.5% South African and nice!

Last Thursday they put the main dishes straight onto the plates rather than serving them as before in their own dishes. That made sharing the food more difficult and there seemed to be slightly smaller quantities! You can read my reviews on the Toptable web site.

If you wanted to discuss the possibility of me sorting your boiler out then you would need to contact me by email from my profile.

Tony

Well I've managed to talk Viessmann into sending an engineer out tomorrow, free of charge (despite being out of warranty by 2 months). The woman wasn't sure if it was a reoccurrence of the parts replaced in January, because the pressure did drop, and immediately after topping it up the F5 fault showed up.

Though I'm not sure if informing me about the possibility of an extended warranty was a hint or a sales pitch :confused:

I shall update you on the outcome.

Do you have an update on this?

Our boiler has today had a low pressure shut down and after topping up now has an F5 fault. Unfortunately the low pressure seem to be because the water was on our worktop!

Your low pressure was not caused by water on your worktop.

It was caused by a leak in your boiler.

His F5 fault is caused by the same problem as yours.

Bettter to stick to your own posting to avoid confusion.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back