Potterton Puma Combi Boiler - low pressure light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, no heating or hot water for two weeks!! The low pressure light keeps turning on, so boiler switches off. We have changed the leaking pressure relief valve, also both the hot water flow switch and micro switch. Still no heat or water. When you raise the pressure in the boiler - ie adding more water - the low pressure light kicks in again and off goes the boiler. If the pressure drops to the minimum, the low pressure light goes off for a short time before coming on again. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Behaviour of the pressure switch isn't making sense.
Disconnect boiler from mains elec.
Undo the obvious screws until you can see the PCB. Bottom left is the connector for the pressure switch, two wires the same colour, yellow I think.
Unplug the connector from the pcb.
The boiler will now ignore the pressure, so it'll light. What does the pressure do? It should be 0.7 - 1 bar cold, a bit more hot. The pressure switch should only come on below about 0.3 bar though that varies.
Don't leave the switch disconnected, because it's there to protect the boiler if the water goes too low.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Behaviour of the pressure switch isn't making sense.
Disconnect boiler from mains elec.
Undo the obvious screws until you can see the PCB. Bottom left is the connector for the pressure switch, two wires the same colour, yellow I think.
Unplug the connector from the pcb.
The boiler will now ignore the pressure, so it'll light. What does the pressure do? It should be 0.7 - 1 bar cold, a bit more hot. The pressure switch should only come on below about 0.3 bar though that varies.
Don't leave the switch disconnected, because it's there to protect the boiler if the water goes too low.
Thanks for the swift reply, did as requested, the boiler fired up and was fine after we plugged the connector in again. The pressure stayed at 1.5. Then I turned on the hot water tap in the sink!!! Pressure went straight up into the red - past 3 - and the flame went out on the boiler amid lots of loud noises. The only good thing was the low pressure light did not come on. We also cant turn the boiler off once it is on. Anymore ideas?? We have reconnected the switch by the way.

Still something odd. Usual culprit if the boiler won't go off is the tap water flow detection switch. That puts a RED led on on the pcb when the tap's open. SOmetimes they stick and the boiler stays on. See if yours is stuck on. If so the CH would get hotter and hotter until it overheated and the boiler cut out, but that would takea while.
I cant immediately think what's wrong for the thing to overheat when the tap's turned on. Anyone?

Unless the pump's dead as well. Do the rads get warm?

ChrisR said:
Still something odd. Usual culprit if the boiler won't go off is the tap water flow detection switch. That puts a RED led on on the pcb when the tap's open. SOmetimes they stick and the boiler stays on. See if yours is stuck on. If so the CH would get hotter and hotter until it overheated and the boiler cut out, but that would takea while.
I cant immediately think what's wrong for the thing to overheat when the tap's turned on. Anyone?

Unless the pump's dead as well. Do the rads get warm?
Hello again, the radiators do get hot, but we can't have heat and water at the same time. When you turn on the tap for the water all is well until you turn off the tap. Then we get a terrible noise from the boiler and steam shoots out of the release valve at the top of the boiler. then the flame goes out and we have to relight it again. Where is the tap water flow detection switch? We have noticed that a red light stays on on the circuit board even though the boiler shouldn't be on, ie hot tap isn't running and heating is off - boiler still fires up. Do you think we need a new boiler??

kevplumb said:
is the red led on the pcb alight when the boiler wont switch off :?:
(note to self read the last reply before jumping in :oops:

Incase you didn't read my reply to Chris, yes the light on the circuit board does stay on when boiler won't switch off. I think we need a new boiler unfortunately. Giving up hope after three weeks without heat or hot water, plus electricity costing us a fortune due to boiling kettles constantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back