Do I need a FENSA installer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a window fitted in a new build extension. Originally I ordered a supply and fit through a double glazing company (quoted £430). They told me the window would be installed in 3 weeks but a week and half later I hadn't even had the survey. I contacted them for s supply only quote and that came in at £259. I've informed them that I was cancelling my original order and was going to order through supply only.

A couple of questions to clarify: Is it OK if I fit the window myself ( or my builder) rather than a Fensa installer. Its a new extension so I presume all the works will be covered by the BCO certificate.
Secondly the size of the opening is 1060mm by 2112mm, would it be OK to order windows of 1050mm by 2100mm or should I allow a greater tolerance.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Is it OK if I fit the window myself ( or my builder) rather than a Fensa installer.
Yes, as long as you advise LABC & get them to inspect.
Its a new extension so I presume all the works will be covered by the BCO certificate.
Possibly not if it wasn’t included in the list of works to be inspected on your submission. Best thing is to ring & bluff it; you may get away with it, you may not! I assume that LABC have already inspected the opening? They will want to do this before the window is fitted.
Secondly the size of the opening is 1060mm by 2112mm, would it be OK to order windows of 1050mm by 2100mm or should I allow a greater tolerance.
Personally, I would like to see it a little tighter than that @ 6–8mm; but it really depends on how accurate/square the opening has been made & is something that should be assessed as part of the order survey.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having a survey as I'm now going down the supply only route. Is it normal practice to give the glazing company the exact size of the opening or the the exact size of the windows reqd. I've read that some companies take off 10mm from the given size to allow for tolerance and others expect you to take off the 10mm tolerance before giving the required size.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having a survey as I'm now going down the supply only route.
I understand that but YOU’R now the one that is now going to have to do the survey!
Is it normal practice to give the glazing company the exact size of the opening or the the exact size of the windows reqd.
Usually exact size required as it’s the person doing the survey who decides how “close” the window can be made.
I've read that some companies take off 10mm from the given size to allow for tolerance and others expect you to take off the 10mm tolerance before giving the required size.
It doesn’t matter one way or the other as long as it’s made clear at the time of ordering. Personally I would always order the size of the window I wanted because I would make the decision on how much tolerance I needed. Window companies recommend +10mm because some openings are not very accurate & are also out of square which is just as much of a problem & something you must consider when measuring for the window. If 10mm isn’t enough to accommodate irregularities then whoever made the opening is rubbish but it’s something you have to accommodate & you can even order windows made “out of square”! A tighter tolerance makes for a better installation.

Sponsored Links
If you are having a new extension built, then the window and doors are included in that b/regs application and you don't need a FENSA registered firm for the windows or doors.

You either give the window company opening sizes or frame sizes, but whatever it is make sure you tell them which of them it is!

Normally you would give opening sizes, and make sure that you use the minimum dimensions as some opening are not perfectly plumb or straight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back