Will a 9" Grinder cut clean through 4" Breeze Bloc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I go and buy one!!

I need to cut out a 4"/100mm breeze block wall - will a 9" cutter go clean through this?

Its just that the radius of a 9" cutter must be 4.5" .. and needs room for the centre boss ... ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks noseall.

The 12" cutters and discs are very expensive ...

Maybe I will hire one or get someone in to do the job for me ...

Why can't you just cut with the 9" grinder and then snap the blocks off with a bolster?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I will hire one or get someone in to do the job for me ...
Hire one unless you intent to use it extensively ;) A 12 inch petrol driven disc cutter is, however, an extremely intimidating piece of kit & can be lethal in less confident/inexperienced hands. 18 months ago whilst in for a routine hand op, my immediate bed neighbors were one guy who had all but cut his foot off with such a disc cutter when cutting paving slabs & another who had sliced though his thigh muscle to the bone whilst undercutting with a chain saw. It takes minutes to cut an opening but a split second to sever a part or your vital anatomy; if you’re at all unsure, get someone in! I regularly use both but something like that certainly makes you reflect!

Would they be allowed to just hire out a disc cutter/stihl saw to anyone, without knowing if a person was competent to use one???

Roughcaster.

IIRC, petrol disk saws can be hired out no problem.

Chainsaws and cartridge nail guns require a card .... I think

Why dont you go the full hog and hire one of them masonry chainsaws, they are beasts. I always wanted a go on one of them! :LOL:

If it is a breeze block wall, why don't you do it the old fashioned way (chisel/bolster and club hammer) and thereby avoid all the safety issues in using mechanical plant - not to mention the dust some of them create. Start off by creating a small hole with the chisel and then use either a 3" or 4" bolster to finish the job!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back