Baxi Solo 3 40 PF how do i relight pilot PLEASE PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

Baxi Solo 3 40 PF gas boiler heating/hot water

2) What is / is not happening.

Has been making an odd noise for a while very noisy sounds like really hot water being sent through the pipes in bedroom (sort of a boiling noise very odd) the boiler itself making odd noises cant describe it running just sounds very loud. Today it has stopped running. On front panel, overheat led is not lit, boiler on and fan on led's are lit, pilot on and burner on led's are not lit. Assume the pilot has gone out but why and how do i relight it. I have followed reset instructions already and this did not do anything - everything came back on the same.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

Primary circuit board replaced about Nov last year as packed up then. Landlord gas check done about 6-8 weeks ago and noise that sounds like really hot water being sent through the pipes in bedroom started after that check i thought nothing of it tho.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.

This problem with not working occured this afternoon at 4.30pm ish

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.

Please any advice you can give I am on my own with 2 small children, rented house and landlord reckons cant get anyone out til mon (i will be working so i guess tue then!) and my boiler supplies my heating and hot water i also have no back up immersion hot water tank and i have no family they are 250 miles away thanks appreciate any help. I have no intention of fiddling with anything other than the panel just wondered if there is a way to reset it also it seems to be wired into electrics directly cannot find an electric turn off switch is this usual.

Sponsored Links
Your boiler does not have a permanent pilot light. It must have a fault and it sounds as if the water level is low too.

A landlord called me today and when I told him it would be £94 today he decided the tenants could wait until Monday when it would be £84 !

Why dont you call a gas engineer yourself to come tomorrow and deduct the cost of the repair from your rent?

Tony

Its a letting agent contract says that if i do anything like that i wont be reimbursed everything has to go through them plus no way i could afford to pay it out in first place.

You are entitled to have a reasonable response to repair the heating and particularly when the weather is cold.

Since there are usually many engineers available at weekends it seems unreasonable of your landlord to make you wait until Monday if it could be repaired this weekend. There are two engineers on this forum in Norwich who could probably fix it tomorrow.

If you could not pay for a boiler repair then one wonders how you can ever pay your rent!

Tony

Sponsored Links
considering the last repair i was told by the engineer was going to be near enough £300 which is the best part of my rent which i might not get back and i am on my own with two kids, i dont think i could afford it no.
I was looking for any practical advice on how to relight the pilot without getting engineer so anyone else have some useful advice??

I was looking for any practical advice on how to relight the pilot without getting engineer so anyone else have some useful advice??

I have already told you that your boiler does not have a permanent pilot light ! Are you unable to understand what I have told you or is it that you just dont believe me? Do you think that I am an ignorant plumber or something?

You need an engineer, but most repairs I do in London cost under £100 !

Tony

agile said:
Do you think that I am an ignorant plumber or something?
steady bonny lad

sassygal514 wrote:

you cant as it DOES NOT HAVE ONE

might be worth checking the small tank in the loft has water in it first :idea:

Thanks Kev that was all i wanted not to get questioned on how i pay my rent...may seem odd to you Tony but i dont have spare money lying round to pay for things like that even if it is JUST £100.

So not to sound stupid (except i know nothing so i will anyway) if it doesnt have a pilot how does it work?

Also, my overflow pipe from tank in loft keeps leaking over the last week, this would indicate too much water in tank?? Is this relevant?

it lights itself as the sensors kick in call for heat fan pump etc

which tank is overflowing :?:

just out of intrest how do you pay your rent :LOL: :LOL: ;)

I see so obviously something is broken then. Will be waiting for letting agent then! :(

How do i pay my rent...with great difficulty mostly! Certainly without money over!!

Theres just one tank in the loft its a cold water tank i presumed it fed down to the tank in the airing cupboard but no idea how any of it works tbh - there are pipes all over the place as it was gas warm air heated when built so ive no idea what goes where!

I see so obviously something is broken then. Will be waiting for letting agent then! icon_sad.gif
sounds promising gall

the pay your rent was a gag :LOL: albeit sexist :LOL:

sounds like a primatic cylinder now methinks

which is another can of worms :eek:

or do you have a pressure gauge and filling loop :?:

Quite honestly i have no idea. I will remember to mention the leaky tank though as it now seems significant. I thought it was just a dodgy ball cock!

have known faulty boards but only very occassionally
the first two lights working and 3rd 4th not, is indicative of a faulty board or
gas valve solenoid sticking /not working either way its a wait for engineer

well thanks for your help anyway ill just have to hope they take pity on me and send me an engineer tomorrow my poor kiddies are going to have to be shipped off elsewhere to bath and get warm!

Please don't think that ALL RGI's are like Agile, condescending and ignorant :rolleyes: Your financial affairs are no business of his or our's :eek: If it is a rented property, and done through a letting agent, then unfortunately you have to follow your tenancy agreement :oops: and wait for them to respond. Granted, waiting a few days in this modern age is not morally right, but, money is a cost and calling a RGI on the w/end obviously costs more! I hope you get your boiler fixed speedily ;) Alas, as kev pointed out, there is a fault that goes beyong the user responsibility and scope...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back