New light won't turn off at switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a new ceiling light and it won’t turn off.

There are two lights in this room and previously there were ceiling rose lights being fed by one pull cord switch.

I replaced the first light, no problem. However, when I removed the second rose, there were three grey cables. I copied the configuration using plastic screw connecters and connected together three reds, three black together, three earth together and a red and black together (this last two being the switch for the other light. However, then I fed the new light into the three red and three black, it will not switch off when the light switch is pulled (the other light does however)

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
3 blacks to together? You mean one was from the new light right? To test to make sure you got the correct Live switch cable?

The three black wires were already together in the old light, in one brass conneter as were the three reds. I simply wired them this way using plastic connecters and then wired the new two wire lght to the three reds and three blacks

Sounds like you have connected it to the loop through to the next light as opposed to the switched live.
Leave the neutrals (blacks) as they are, the red to the new light needs to connect to the switch live for the old light, probably the black coming from the switch cable (which if I am right should really have a red sleeve on it).
All the 4 reds should be together??
Before you change anything, can you upload a piccy?

Sponsored Links
hi as spark 123 said post a pic
what you seem to have done is put your permanent
lives in to one light as you have one light permanent on
and one light switching take the reds out of the perm
light and replace it with the feed that switches the second
light

the reds you took out stay in a block on there own

Aha, thanks, so which do I connect the new light neutral and live to then please?

I have also three piccys which I will try to upload which may help[[/img]

your gonna need a mains tester or a voltmeter to find out which cable is which! sounds like you've put the switch wire in with the perm feeds.

remember the power goes down to the switch then back to the light then to the next light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back