Removing bitumen from brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had our old conservatory pulled down and where the lead flashing was put up it has left a nasty black line all the way across. I'm assuming this is bitumen based but I am really struggling to get it off. Any secrets to removing this black stain? If its not possible I am wondering if a brick/masonry paint will cover it?

Sponsored Links
When we were kids our mam used to use petrol.

There's a couple of randy wheelbarrows making love behind your wall. :oops: :oops: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
A solvent based product would dissolve the bitumen which would then be absorbed into the brick leading to permanent staining.
Is there no way of peeling this stuff off the wall? maybe when it is quite cold to reduce stickiness.

HRH

Edit,

Just re-read your post. Was it lead flashing that you took off or the budget plastic stick-on alternative?

It looks to me like they used flash band primer with the view of using flashband.

White spirits may shift it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back