Glanding armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops: i was asked to gland a cable today and i havent done it in years yall prob say it's like riding a bike ya never forget :LOL: but unfortunately id say throughtout the apprenticeship ive glanded about 3 swa cables anyway when i was trying to cut the armour with a junnior hacksaw for the gland the strands went all over the place and bent everyway and anyway i was wondering does anyone have any tips on doing this neatly i googled it and it shows them using a side cutters (snips) to cut the armour id get murdered if i was seen doing in that way have to use a junior hacksaw anyone have any advice how to do it neatly and importantly to the boss as quick as possible! :oops:

Sponsored Links
do NOT strip the outer sheath.. which from the sound of your description is what you did..

FIRST PUT THE BOOT ON THE CABLE!!! many have been caught out by this... :)

use the JH to score round the cable where you want the gland to be and make sure you cut more that half way through the armour strands...

then remove the upper part of the outer sheath.. and unwind the strands of armoured..

take one or two armour strands at a time ( NO MORE ) and bend at right angles to the cable and the back up..

repeat twice..

if the strand has not broken off, use the JH to score it a little deeper and retry..

repeat for all strands..

THEN strip back the outer about 1-1½ inches depending on gland design..

Sponsored Links
Back