If tradesman fails to use scaffolding, is homeowner liable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically, I need the gutters cleared on my roof (3 storey townhouse). I got quotes from various ppl. The cheapest I got was for 130gbp and I wanted to go ahead with that. I now found out that since the property is 3 storey's, to get that high, legislation requires tradesmen to put up scaffolding. The quote for 130gbp, came from roofers advertised on yell.com, but they do seem young. Not sure if they know what they are doing, and if not, if I will be liable.

THanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
YOU ARE NOT LIABLE YOU ARE EMPLOYING SOMEONE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE EXPERIENCED IN THERE FIELD OF WORK YOU ARE A HOMEOWNER WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF REGULATIONS "WINK WINK" IF THEY ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO GO UP THERE THEN LET THEM IT WILL SAVE YOU AT LEAST 600GBP IN SCAFFOLDING THEY SOUND LIKE COWBOYS SO ENSURE THEY TAKE PICS ON THEIR PHONES BEFORE AND AFTER CLEANING SO YOU KNOW THE JOB HAS BEEN DONE RIGHT

The tradespeople looked young, but I made them show me their certification. I think they were trying to save me money, 'cos everyone else kept harping on about scaffolding. But, I can't justify spending an obscene amount just for scaffolding for getting a few leaves removed from the gutter.

btw, the 130gbp guys said they were just going to use a ladder.

ILL BE HONEST IN MY YOUNGER DAYS IV REDONE DORMAS OFF A SET OF LADDERS WITH NO PROB
IF THEY SEEM OK LET THEM DO IT UL BE SUPRISED HOW SAFE A SET OF LADDERS ARE BUT LIKE I SAID GET A PIC OFF THEM WHEN DONE EVERYONE HAS A CAMERA PHONE THESE DAYS SO IT AINT HARD TO TAKE A PIC WHEN THEY HAVE FINISHED

Sponsored Links
YOU ARE NOT LIABLE YOU ARE EMPLOYING SOMEONE WHO IS SUPPOSED TO BE EXPERIENCED IN THERE FIELD OF WORK YOU ARE A HOMEOWNER WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF REGULATIONS "WINK WINK" IF THEY ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO GO UP THERE THEN LET THEM IT WILL SAVE YOU AT LEAST 600GBP IN SCAFFOLDING THEY SOUND LIKE COWBOYS SO ENSURE THEY TAKE PICS ON THEIR PHONES BEFORE AND AFTER CLEANING SO YOU KNOW THE JOB HAS BEEN DONE RIGHT

I can hear you. Please stop shouting. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back