3 quick questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I'm building an brick BBQ. Can somebody please tell me ....
1. What is the ratio for a mortar mix ?
2. Should I use any additives to aid longevity as it's exposed to the weather ?
3. How much soft sand/cement do I need to order lay 270(ish) common house bricks. My local supplier sells the soft sand in 40kg bags.

Roll on summer !!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy 8 x 40kg bags of building sand and 3 x 25kg bags of cement.

Mix the muck at a good 5:1, with a tiny splash of fairy... er... plasticiser. ;)

I AGREE WITH THAT WHOLE HEARTEDLY ESPECIALLY THE FAIRY PLASTICISER LOL

What about knocking that caps lock key off too.
caps-lock.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. One last question. Might sound stoopid but what are the dimensions of a brick or does it vary from type to type. Just measured one from my wall at home and they're 60x100x180mm but the sample I bought is 60x100x210mm???
Thanks

The standard metric size is 65mm x 102.5mm by 215mm. Some will vary slightly in size. You can still obtain imperial sized bricks. The one you measured may have been a cut brick. Metric was introduced in 1974. Before that the size was 2 5/8 x 4 1/8 x 8 5/8 inches which came out in 1965. Before that there wasn't one standard size, although bricks have been around the same for hundreds of years.

Brick size is a bit irrelevant for a BBQ

Either set the walls out first, allowing 10mm joints to work whole bricks, or to the nearest half brick.

Or if you have pre-formed grills to fit, you will have to work to those sizes

If using metric bricks, you may want to mark a stick with lines 75mm apart, and when held vertically (from a single point), lay each course to the line before leveling the course around. This will keep the horizontal joints even

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back