MegoFLo Boiler and tank distance

kam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Megaflo tank in the loft thats will sit 12 meters away from the boiler that's in the kitchen. We have an extended 3 bed semi with 12 radiators around the house.

My question is, do we need to install a second pump onto the system. My plumber also mentions we need to have a vessel tank installed too. Is this necessary?

Any suggestions appreciated.

kam.

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong that they need to do the work??

You only need one pump on the HW/CH circuit, these come in various sizes and a Grundfos 15/60 should be enough.

The expansion vessles can be for 2 different reasons but the megaflow
should have an airbubble inside for expansion so it will prob be for the CH circuit.

If you don't have a system boiler (expansion vessel integral) then yes you will need an expansion vessel, this takes the place of the F&E tank that will probably be up in your loft close to your cold water cylinder. This will be for the expansion of the central heating water once it gets heated.

make sure that the tank is sitting above a load bearing wall and not in the middle of a joist span. A 250 ltr megflow ill weigh 1/4 ton when full of water roofs were never designed to take that loading on the ceiling joists.

Sponsored Links
I have a Megaflo tank in the loft ........ My plumber also mentions we need to have a vessel tank installed too. Is this necessary?

Are you sure he means an expansion tank? Could it be that as the megaflow is in the loft there may need to be a secondary catch tank/safety tank/bund, below it to stop HW bringing down the ceiling and the water scalding someone should it leak for some reason?

Remember that poor baby scalded to death a couple of years ago?

I would be very vary of a HW tank in the loft particularly above bedrooms.

(I know that was primarily caused by an immersion heater thermostat failure but it could still happen with a boiler system.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back