Tiling a shower room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find out the most popular method.

Let's say you've got a room that's going to have a shower cubicle in it. The floor is going to be tiles, but a sheet of ply is going to be fixed to the boards first. Do you:

1) Fit the tray to the floorboards than cut the ply to fit around the tray and then cut the tiles to fit?

2) Fit the ply wall to wall and sit the tray on top of the ply and cut the tiles to fit around the tray?

3) Fit the ply, then tile the entire room wall to wall, leaving just the waste clear - then fit the tray on top of the tiles?

Which do you prefer?
Which way do you see it done most often?

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate I'm in full agreement - but I see it done so many times the other ways, that I thought I was doing it wrong.

Sponsored Links
Hi mate thanks for input. The reason is that if you have a problem you can get the tray out easily because it's not locked it in. Also, you can make the floor just about water tight so if you have a leak it won't go to the floor below before you know about. What the benefit in method 2?

Regarding the leak issue - the majority of leaks with shower trays are at the edges of the tray, so if any water was to get by the seal, it would run down the wall cause damage to wall and floor there. Or are you suggesting tiling the walls down to the floor tiles and siliconing the joints? This has its own set of problems.
The reason I suggest option 2 is because floors are generally not level. It's easier to hide any uneveness in the floor (or tiles) if you tile up to the edge of the tray and not under it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back