algae and moss cleaning solutions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking for company's who manufacture cleaning and preventive solutions for tiled house roofs which clean and prevent the return of algae and moss
any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
a strip of copper running the length of your ridge will kill the moss on your roof and prevent it returning.

Moss is a problem, copper strips are no longer effective as they were as the copper now being sold is 26% alloy and the strength is poor. It might work for the first 2-3 tiles, but after that the rain (which is no longer acidic), dilutes the copper sulphate too much. scraping (as mentioned else where) is like cutting the grass...... it just re-grows. Power washing and treating will keep moss away for 18-24 months before it re-grows, though regular treatment with Moss treatment will keep it at bay. One problem with treatment only, is that the moss dies off and fills the gutters..... few good examples on youtube recently.
you mentioned 'Tiles', do you mean clay tiles as in rosemary as they can be sealed with Nano Technology Sealants, concrete need acrylic sealant.
Hope this helps... and Yes I am an expert

It is best to remove the moss first and then treat with a fungicide. You can then install a copper strip to the roof if you wish.

I use Abicide Fungicide Wash on roofs but I have heard Mossgo is also good.

Check out moss photos on my profile.

Heres the site for moss go

www.mossgo.co.uk

Sponsored Links
All i can say is just stay off the roof as your fighting a loosing battle with moss and lichen. I have fitted copper strips supplied made especially for roofs, it's a load of hog wash it is fixed to the ridge which will only work with flat tilled roofs and slate which does'nt get the moss as bad because when the water runs off the ridged copper how does the water find the top of a rolled tile when gravity is against it, so it will only kill off the lower part of the tile.I have fitted the copper strip to my dad's newly built garage with Marley Mendip Pewter tiles which were brand new and the moss grew after a year but he lives in a woodland area.If your tile is of a certain age ie over 20 years this makes things worse as if the tiles as turning porus the moss is the only thing blocking up the pores.

I have two tiles in my garage which were of just over 20 year's old from a roof of a local guy to me who was always messing about on his roof either scraping, spraying or the worst power washing which eventually eroded the tiles exposing holes what you can fit your fingers through.
I ended up having to re do his whole roof.

It doesn't matter how you get it off, or if you use the best cleaner in the world, it always grows back. Always :)

It doesn't matter how you get it off, or if you use the best cleaner in the world, it always grows back. Always :)

Words of wisdom.

Unless you have a clay tiled roof, deal with the crap.

Or fit another roof just above your existing roof and let that get dirty/mossy/covered in bird shat. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back