Potterton EP3002 - wiring problem or programmer fault.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.....or just me being stupid?

Potterton Prima F80 boiler
Potterton EP3002 programmer
Fully pumped (not sealed), 3 way valve, separate CH and HW stats.

Been in the house about a year and although the CH and HW programmer (EP3002) seemed to behave strangely when we moved in it wasn't top of the list of priorities so I left it until now.

We have just had solar panels fitted so the time was right to make sure the programming on the HW was set so that it only kicked in when the solar panels were not able to produce enough hot water. I don't have a manual for the EP3002 but the programmer controls are pretty easy to work out.

Whilst I understand that the EP3002 does not allow me to have a completely separate timing program for the CH and HW, I fully expected to be able to set the HW to "timer" to utilise the program, and the CH to "ON" so that it ignores the program and comes on independently when the stat determines that heating is required.

My problem is that it doesn't matter where I put the CH slider, it still only comes on and off at the same time as the HW. - even if I set the CH slider to OFF it still comes on when the HW comes on.

I have seen mentioned of some 10/16 interlock but I have no idea if that is something that I need to check or even how to check it. I popped the controller off the back-plate and the only thing I seem to be able to change is a little switch that can be turned with a screw-driver. Horizontal=fully pumped HW & CH (which is what I have and where the switch is position). Vertical is for gravity HW and pumped CH which I don't have).

Is it possible that this has been wired incorrectly, or is it behaving as expected, or do I have to reset something?

Since ultimately I want separate programmes for CH and HW I am considered changing to an EP6002 anyway on the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that it will fit the same backplate using the same wiring - but there seems little point in that if the wiring is at fault anyway.

Sponsored Links
Is there a wire connected to term 1 on the Prog backplate?

could be wired up incorrectly.or a duff programmer.
get new ep6002 and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mick - thanks for the reply.

Yes, terminal 1 has a single blue wire with a red sleeve (not sure if the colours are relevant to you).
Terminal 2: Nothing
Terminal 3 = Yellow(ish)
Terminal 4 = Red
Terminal 5 = One red and one blue with a red sleeve

It is difficult to see where each wire goes though becauth they just disappear into the wall. I have a multimeter but have little clue how to use it other than to measure resistance in my underfloor heating mat :(

John - I could just replace the programmer as you suggest, but if the fault is with the wiring I will be no better off - or are you saying thats the easiest way to check the wiring? Does an EP6002 fit the back plate of an EP3002 ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back