patio laying for a beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a n00b and need help.

My back garden has a patio which is in bad shape. It's uneven, many of the slabs wobble and the slabs look horrible.

I've decided to relay the patio myself (with new slabs) but I have lots of questions and I can't seem to find the answers online that I need.

So here goes:

I think I am going to need a skip to dispose of the old slabs, is there any better way to dispose on concrete slabs?

Is there a tried and tested method for getting up the slabs that are still cemented down firmly? Or do I hit them with a big hammer? :)

I've looked under a few of the slabs and it just seems to be a bit of sand and then warwickshire clay soil. Do I need hardcore? Its my rear garden and will only have people walking on it. (no cars or anything like that)

Should I cement the tiles I lay?

Can I buy hardcore is small bags or does it need to be delived by a lorry?

And finally...any ideas why what I can do to ensure that my new patio doesn't become uneven like the last one?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks for you help.

Andy

Sponsored Links
stack them in the front garden and put a note on "free slabs, take em if you want em.."

there are people out there who need the odd slab to patch a few broken ones in their garden.. or maybe as a base to put a shed on.. or to break up as hardcore...

someone will want them..

you could also try your local freecycle group where people give away or trade stuff they don't need for free or in exchange for stuff they do need..

or the local paper..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back