noisy boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
14 yr old ideal sprint rapide. Firstly the pilot light won't stay on. I can sometimes 'pump' the primer (if that's what its called) until it catches and the boiler will fire up. But only usually for a few minutes. Then one of 2 things happens. 1. The pilot goes out with a click or 2. The boiler starts banging and clattering like someone's trying to beat it to death, the pressure gauge goes haywire and hot water is dumped through the overflow.

If anyone can offer any suggestions as what might be happening here i'd be most grateful

Sponsored Links
You need a new thermocouple and pump, probably. When it's having its hoolie it'll be losing water, which you'll have to refill. But you knew that?

Having had water through yer pressure relief valve you'll need another one of them too.

I look after a Sprint which is about 14 yrs old. Nice and simple with cheap and easy parts. If only they were all like that.

Just hold the button in on the gas valve, don't "pump" it.

thanks guys. I've tried holding the button in for up to ten minutes. The only thing that works is pumping it until it catches and it doesn't do that too often now.

Pump seems to be working fine. I'll replace the thermocouple though - ta

Sponsored Links
if the boiler is going out on overheat, due to all the water being blown out the expantion pipe(lack of water), then that would explain all the banging, does it only bang once all the water has been released,
sounds like expansion vessel

time to change the boiler for a new 1, any boiler over 10 years is not cost effective, having just done my C & G i doubt if its more than 60 % efficient, that means 40% of wasted energy and a larger gas bill.
the boiler man

i got a 25+ year old glow worm space saver, it don't save space because its huge, and i get a bit of popping and banging from the heat exchanger, but still i would't swap it till the day it dies, sod saving gas when it dont ever break
some old boilers were built to last :LOL:

Yea keep your space saver, it will still be going after all these condensers have died in another five years, it wont be as efficient on gas but it will work out cheaper overall, and yes I have got my effaciency sh*ty & Grills as well, but my job is to keep my customers happy, not save the planet, not all my customers are judges with fat UNTAXED pensions and able to afford a new boiler every five years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back