Fire Door Accreditation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help me? I have fitted three blank fire doors and fitted them with self closers & intumescent strips. Building Control want me to supply them with a fire door accreditation which shows what type of fire hinges, size & positioning is to be used, also what type of latches and ironmongery to be fitted too. Not even my architect knows how to get the accreditation. I have phoned the company that supplied the blank fire doors, but even they were struggling to find out. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Can anyone please help me? I have fitted three blank fire doors and fitted them with self closers & intumescent strips. Building Control want me to supply them with a fire door accreditation which shows what type of fire hinges, size & positioning is to be used, also what type of latches and ironmongery to be fitted too. Not even my architect knows how to get the accreditation. I have phoned the company that supplied the blank fire doors, but even they were struggling to find out. :confused:
adjustable fire door spring hinges [ fire rated en1634 ] locks inc intumescent pads [ europrofile ] www.selcobw.com.

First things first,
adjustable fire door spring hinges [ fire rated en1634 ] locks inc intumescent pads [ europrofile ] www.selcobw.com.
Got no idea what that post is about probably spam.

Anyway down to business,

Where did you get the blanks from? How do you know they are fire door blanks? It sounds like BC are being a bit anal but if the doors are cut down blanks its unlikely they have their label still attached hence his sceptism maybe? ( http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...tryUK%7CcountryGB&safe=off&sa=N&start=18&um=1 scroll down a bit ), your Architect is a lazy bugger and should have phoned up BC and found out exactly what they want assuming he's being paid to do so!

To provide fully accredition could be a right ballaching process, you would technically need to prove:

1. The door is actually a fire door. Often a fire door comes with a label as per the link above which obviously shouldn't be removed.
2. The hinges meet the standards required for fire regs ie they're to British Standard whatever it is & are min. thickness 3mm (I think), there are 3 and they are fitted at the correct levels and are fitted to the door/frame properly.
3. The frame is the right thickness and material and the stop is the minimum thickness 18mm rings a bell.
4. Any gap between the end of the wall and the frame is sealed with a suitable fire resistant sealant or insulation.
5. The latches/handles etc have been tested and are acceptable for use on fire doors and are correctly fitted etc.
6. The intumescent strip is correctly fitted.
7. If the door requires a closer, that closer would need to meet BS cant remember off the top of me head and needs to be fitted properly.
8. Probably a few other things I've not mentioned.

Thats why you need to try and find out exactly what he wants before you delve too deep. Unless he's a complete nonce he should give you some hints at least to tell you what he really wants. In 22 years submitting building regs packages and overseeing jobs on site I've never once been asked for 'fire door accredition'!

ps this is a good if overly complicated/lengthy guide to fire door accredition http://www.asdma.com/pdf/BPG.pdf

Cheers freddymercurystwin,

I purchased one fire door from JKM Wood Merchants in Paisley and the other two from Howden's Joinery Co in Glasgow. All the doors did come with a label at the top edge of the doors, but unfortunately I removed and binned them when my mate was routering the doors out to fit the intumescent strips. :(
My Architect says he will phone the head Building Control officer and make enquiries.

The hinges I am looking at buying do meet the standards required for fire regs. 3 will be fitted at the correct levels etc.
The frame is the right thickness & the stop 20mm thick
There are no gaps between the end of the wall and the frame.
The latches/handles I will be purchasing have all been tested and are acceptable for use on fire doors, I will get my Joiner mate to fit them correctly.
The intumescent strip has been correctly fitted.
Door closers are fitted on all three doors, they meet the required British Standard.

I phoned the building officer to try & find out exactly what he meant and what he wants before buying hinges and ironmongery etc, but all he said was he needed an accreditation certificate for the doors to prove they are fire doors. The guy is a bit of a ****, he hasn't given me any help at all with this matter. My Architect mirrored your opinion about never once has he been asked for 'fire door accredition'!

Sponsored Links
Can't you just show him the receipt :rolleyes:

Fire doors normally have a coloured plastic plug on the hinge side.

Anyway, the BCO should not be asking for accreditation - that is way too onerous. A fire door, in a suitable frame with suitable stops, 100mm hinges, intumescent strips and a self closer is a fire door set for this purpose.

Surely the BCO is experienced enough to recognise a fire door set? Ask this exact question to him and his manager

Complain to his line manager, and then if need be invite them to serve an enforcement notice - for which you will lodge an appeal. They will find that it will cost them more money than this nonsense is worth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back