CarPort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to build a carport infront of my garage which is at the rear of the house and as it is behind the driveway gates and not extending the front line of the house nearer to the road I assume that I will not need planning permission.

I am thinking of building it similsr to this plan:
http://www.buildeazy.com/carport_imp.html

except one side of the carport will be fastened to the party fence which already has a couple of good 4"x4" support posts.

So all I need to do is add a couple of 3"x3"posts (a) on the opposite side with some 3"x2"s (b) supporting the tops of the posts and the 3"x2" rafters/purlins (d). The posts will be galvanised holders bolted to the concrete floor.

Question tho, how do you fasten the noggins (e) so that they are all in a line like the plan ? I can see that by staggering each noggin I could nail through each rafter but then the noggins aren't straight.

As for roofing sheets, I'm thinking of using 3" corrugated clear sheets which I think are 30" wide with a 25" coverage.

Any suggestions / comment for improvement, I'd like to keep costs down if it helps.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You would either nail or screw in at an angle I suppose, Is it as simple as that or am I overlooking something here? You could also use some 2" hangers if your really wanted for the noggins...

If I used a single piece of 3x2 under all the rafters/purlins I think that would do the same job without having to cut & nail all those seperate noggins ?

Sponsored Links
If I used a single piece of 3x2 under all the rafters/purlins I think that would do the same job

No it wont.

Noggins stop the timbers twisting and bowing and give inherent strength the roof structure as a whole.

A timber underneath wont do any of this and will be a waste of time

You need to skew nail these, or drill pilot holes and then screw them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back