carport/garage - building regs requirements?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my neighbours want a carport/garage. they are applying for planning permission. (is this 100% required?) it will be about 3m x 10m on the side of the house. the sides will all be enclosed (probably timber cladding) the roof will most likely be clear polycarbonate multiwall supported by oak beams and posts.

so i am going to knock up a drawing. i am wondering - is it subject to building regs, if so which parts do i need to be looking at?

Sponsored Links
Carports as far as i know do not require any sort of planning or building regs. Garage will be a whole different ball game.

so i think the fact that it is to be fully enclosed will make it a garage?
also the size of it i think might make planning permission necessary.

are there any requirements for foundations, insulation etc; that building regs requires?

If its not attached to your house or a certain min distance away from your house it could be classed as an outbuilding which is now permitted develepment and most of the building regs do not come into play if its within I think 30M squared. This is only my general knowledge of the new laws but I'm defintely no expert. You're best contacting your local planning dept to get a definitive answer.

Sponsored Links
Any development, even a shed will require planning permission if it exceeds any permitted development allowance.

Its not an outbuilding, it's a carport, and a carport is development in respect of planning law

I terms of building regulations, a carport is only exempt if it is less than 30m2 in floor area, and has at least two sides open to the air, and it must be single storey!

An enclosed carport is a garage, not a carport anymore

ok, but presumably the building reg requirements for garages must be more lenient than for dwellings? is there a separate section or do i find the requirements in each section?

There is only one set of building regs.

The type of structure determines which regulations apply and to what extent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back