Oven removal and gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed my oven as I am fitting a new kitchen, I wont be using the gas connection anymore, my new kitchen will have all electric appliances.

The gas pipe in my kitchen had a valve which II have turned off, this has stopped the gas flow. I have also removed the black hose between the oven and gas pipe as the oven is to be dumped ASAP.

Although I have no gas coming out the pipe, the end is now open and I am not sure if I need to place a plug or something on the end of it?

The connector has a spring loaded connection and the gas tap is in the off position, so no gas leakage, can anyone advise what I need to do with the pipe/connection as I intend to leave it where it is and place the units in front of the pipe.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like you have an isolating valve and a "bayonet" fitting. is the bayonet screwed into a back plate or soldered? if it is screwed ( provided your gas is definetly isolated) unscrew bayonet & plug off using a 1/2" bsp plug and some one wrap gas ptfe.

You should really get a competent gas engineer (was Corgi) to check it out.

It should I think be checked for leaks using gas leak detector spray
(available for about a fiver at most plumbing supplies) at the very least before blocking it in.

Capping it off is a bit drastic as it prevents you or the next owners from easily changing back to Gas.

it sounds like you have an isolating valve and a "bayonet" fitting. is the bayonet screwed into a back plate or soldered? if it is screwed ( provided your gas is definetly isolated) unscrew bayonet & plug off using a 1/2" bsp plug and some one wrap gas ptfe.

It looks like the bayonet fitting is screwed into the back plate, I have definitely turned the gas tap off just before this connection, I will unscrew the bayonet and get myself a plug to screw in, I assume any DIY shop stocks these? Many thanks for your info.

Sponsored Links
do not unscrew bayonet until you have the plug in your hand and you are about to do the job. you NEVER leave an open end on gas pipework, even for ten minutes. any merchant,ironmonger b&q etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back