DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Oven removal and gas pipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noopy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote

I have removed my oven as I am fitting a new kitchen, I wont be using the gas connection anymore, my new kitchen will have all electric appliances.

The gas pipe in my kitchen had a valve which II have turned off, this has stopped the gas flow. I have also removed the black hose between the oven and gas pipe as the oven is to be dumped ASAP.

Although I have no gas coming out the pipe, the end is now open and I am not sure if I need to place a plug or something on the end of it?

The connector has a spring loaded connection and the gas tap is in the off position, so no gas leakage, can anyone advise what I need to do with the pipe/connection as I intend to leave it where it is and place the units in front of the pipe.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
glasgowgas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote

it sounds like you have an isolating valve and a "bayonet" fitting. is the bayonet screwed into a back plate or soldered? if it is screwed ( provided your gas is definetly isolated) unscrew bayonet & plug off using a 1/2" bsp plug and some one wrap gas ptfe.
 Alert Moderators
mattylad

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote

You should really get a competent gas engineer (was Corgi) to check it out.

It should I think be checked for leaks using gas leak detector spray
(available for about a fiver at most plumbing supplies) at the very least before blocking it in.

Capping it off is a bit drastic as it prevents you or the next owners from easily changing back to Gas.
 Alert Moderators
Noopy

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote

glasgowgas wrote:
it sounds like you have an isolating valve and a "bayonet" fitting. is the bayonet screwed into a back plate or soldered? if it is screwed ( provided your gas is definetly isolated) unscrew bayonet & plug off using a 1/2" bsp plug and some one wrap gas ptfe.

It looks like the bayonet fitting is screwed into the back plate, I have definitely turned the gas tap off just before this connection, I will unscrew the bayonet and get myself a plug to screw in, I assume any DIY shop stocks these? Many thanks for your info.
 Alert Moderators
glasgowgas

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote

do not unscrew bayonet until you have the plug in your hand and you are about to do the job. you NEVER leave an open end on gas pipework, even for ten minutes. any merchant,ironmonger b&q etc etc
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: