New garden project. A few Q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to here and new to diy so be gentle.

My garden is in need of some change so have decided to do it myself.

I have put 2 pics on here. First pic is what it is now, second pic is what i have in mind.

The problems i seem to have is how do i get the aco drain channel around the stench pipe?, is it ok to have the aco drain against the house (its 20cm below damp course)

Now.png

After.jpg

Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
why are you putting an aco drain there? the paving should drain away from the house. it will be fine to drain it towards the lawn.

Hi,

Because the level at the back of the garden is in total about 1ft higher , so it gradually goes up from the house to the new level and then steps up about 6" and then gradually up to the back.

Matt

lay the aco drain in front of the down pipes! with a cutting of slab at the back of the channels.

Sponsored Links
the gradient of my back garden falls towards the house and like yourself had cause to install drainage channels after creating a walled patio along the length of the rear of the house.
the way i achieved this was to step the channels back from the wall, and personally i think it looks absoloutely fine.

you can also cut the channels around the pipes if you wished , if you considered this more aesthetically pleasing.

the gradient of my back garden falls towards the house and like yourself had cause to install drainage channels after creating a walled patio along the length of the rear of the house.
the way i achieved this was to step the channels back from the wall, and personally i think it looks absoloutely fine.

you can also cut the channels around the pipes if you wished , if you considered this more aesthetically pleasing.

Hi,

Do you have any pics of it finished so i could see what it looks like please?

Matt

how wide will teh new patio be. You would be better falling it towards the break in level and having the drainage channels against that wall, rather than the house. The pipe can run from the channels under the patio to the drain

Hi,

That was my original idea but i thought it might look weird going from the house downwards then stepping up and then going up towards the back as the whole gradient from the house to the back is up.

If i did do the drainage on the house wall i could raise the patio to just under (approx 2cm) the damp proof course couldn't i as there would be no way of water soaking into the brick as the drainage channel would get rid of the water before it hit the wall. Then i wouldn't have a step up at all as at the moment the slabs are about 15cm under the damp proof.

Matt

Hi Matt,

My garden also slopes towards the house. We put aco drains along the house wall. The damproof was at didderent levels across the width of the house, so part of the drain is beneath the level of the patio. The gap between house and patio is full of pebbles now and looks fine.

Some pics here....

http://www.alanmangroo.com/Album1/Garden/slides/CIMG6012.html
http://www.alanmangroo.com/Album1/Garden/slides/CIMG6015.html

Hopefully that helps you, feel free to look at the rest of the pics, its a bit of a picture story of the project.
This project was all DIY by myself and the wife and neither of us are builders!

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back