avoiding efflorescence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to do some feature brickwork outside, but I don't want it ruined by efflorescence 6 months later. Is there any way I can guarantee not to get it?

Sponsored Links
Choose a brick that is rated low efflourescence and Keep the bricks as dry as possible.

Thanks Jeds, is it exclusively the salts coming from the brick? or is there some also in the mortar?

Sponsored Links
Washed sand is less likely to contain salts, but it is a bit more difficult to work with.

Principally the bricks but the mortar can also contribute. Using washed bricklaying sand is good advice. Also use clean water.

It's worth noting that it is impossible to say that efflourescence can be avoided completely in all situations. But the above precautions will lower the risk dramatically.

Having a suitable coping with suitable drips will reduce the likelihood of the wall below efflorescing

Thanks for all the advice lads..........washed sand? is that what they call plasterer's sand?

Even sand that's been out in the rain too long can be more difficult to work with. You have to lay bricks with different sands to know just how much difference it can make.

Even sand that's been out in the rain too long can be more difficult to work with. You have to lay bricks with different sands to know just how much difference it can make.

Words of wisdom. Only experienced trowels will know what you are on about.

People who have never laid dry bricks, wet bricks, hard bricks, porous bricks, had to muck up, screw down, corbel out, over-sail, lay in the rain - these are the people who blather on about using rinsed sand. :rolleyes:

I've laid a few hundred bricks in me time including oversailing courses and dentil brickwork and I know the nightmare of laying porous bricks in the sun, but obviously I haven't the experience you boys have. Anyway, are you saying I should be using plasterer's washed sand instead of soft sand to help avoid mortar efflorescence?

For bricklaying I would use building sand. Even some building sands are similar to washed sand. I have always found the yellow sand to be the best. Washed sand mortar is more difficult to spread, the bricks won't push down properly and its harder to butter the cross joints. You used to get this on sites when they delivered both types in the same truck and tipped the load off together. Builders merchants never seemed to understand the problems that the wrong sand caused.
Even if you do get some efflorescence it's not a serious problem as it will wash away in time. It normally comes from the bricks anyway.
Lime run off is similar (often mistaken for efflorescence) and will occur whichever sand you use.

I wouldn't worry about the mortar just make sure you buy dry bricks and keep them dry, that includes any exposed courses during the build.

fair enough, soft sand it is (i've only used plasterer's for rendering). I intend to build a pair of hexagonal columns that twist as they ascend, so with all that effort you can appreciate that efflorescence all over the show ain't the way to go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back