Fitting a radiator to a plasterboard wall with no studs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there my problem is that i need to fit a new radiator to a slightly non standard type of wall.

This is a prefabricated type wall which comprises of two sheets of plasterboard held together with what seems like a cardboard honeycomb. There are no studs anywhere across the wall just a wooden frame around the perimiter of the wall.

I would think my best option would be 12mm horizontal battons fixed on the other side of the wall and bolted through but this will look ugly in the next room!

Are there any fixings that could be used, ive toyed with the idea of using these..
http://www.londontools.co.uk/product.php?productid=16440

any advice gratefully received before i flood the front room

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
All the fixings posted will work. However, the last ones are the strongest ;)

I fit about 8 rads every day and have used both types, i would reccommend the last type :)

How about timber 'legs' behind the brackets that will support the weight of the radiator down to the skirting or floor and then the wall only takes horizontal load keeping it upright?

totally agree with david, been using same fittings ( different maker) for 3 years now but using the fixing tool to set them (about £6). 100% success with them.

I have had problems Gas4You. Sometimes they spin and the plaster crumbles.

Had a similar prob with kitchen cabinet recently, used same fixings, had a prob with fitting spinning and digging in on one used a screwdriver to hold the others still.

I would only use the screw in type for small rads anything longer than 1m I would use the interset type as stated by swbjackson, it helps if you have the right tool to fit them - one of these;

No, have never had a problem with these Jacko ;) , Do use the hollow wall anchors for towel rads though. As Mick says right tool for the job.

Should add I do fit four fixing per brkt and with the silicon the wall will move first :LOL:

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back