kitchen mixer tap problem

mwk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

i've got a kitchen mixer tap which is dripping, the taps themselves appear to be old style capstan heads. There's no screw on the side of the tap heads. i don't hink the centre cap comes off to reveal a screw [i think the cap is just decorative], so i'm at a loss as to how to take the tap off. Below the tap is a shield. i've tried gently pulling it upwards to see if it will come off but it doesn't, and i don't want to exert too muc force unless there is a screw somewhere holding it in place.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Chances are the screww will be under the decorative caps on the tap heads.

Rico

Hi there,

Chances are the screww will be under the decorative caps on the tap heads.

Rico

hi rico

trouble is, there appears no way to take them off. i've tried sliding a flat blade screwdriver under the metal part of the 'cap' but there's no movement....there's not even a mm of clearance to slide the screwdriver fully underneath. the plastic centre of the decorative cap is flush with the metal circumference so again it doesn't look like it's meant to budge.

very confused.

Sponsored Links
if the caps are the small (10mm) plastic ones they will lift out, if they are chrome (30mm ish) they may lift out or unscrew, if they are the unscrew type that might be why there is no upward movement in them

sorry chaps. just had to edit this post with an update.

The caps do indeed screw off, thanks guys for your advice.

I stupidly assumed they *should* be finger tight. didn't think to use a pair of pliers to get the necessary leverage.

But jobs a good 'un, although might have to post again if it's not a straightforward job to fix the leak. Here's hoping....

anyway happy easter weekend and bank holiday monday to everyone.

hello again.

this is going to sound really dumb, but we've got a combi/sealed system and my question is.....

With a mixer tap how do you tell whether it's the hot or the cold tap is the culprit for the leak ?

We'd assumed the hot tap was the problem, we took out the cartridge, it's the ceramic disc type and its a bit dirty so just needs a clean....but how do we know it's not the cold tap that's the problem rather than the hot ?

there is a valve on the cold inlet to the boiler which will turn the hot off and leave the cold on, it is a slotted valve so you will need a screwdriver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back