doorway regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm struggling to find building regulations that i dont have to pay for, what is the minimum doorway width i can put on a bedroom. i have recently had some work done, and one of the doorways leading to one of the bedrooms only measures 2'1" wide, when i had the plans drawn up and requested this measurement to the builder there was no arguments they just did it, but now i have been told this may not be an accepted doorway size, despite the fact it is the same size as my bathroom doorway, which was already there when i moved into my council house???

Sponsored Links
AFIK there's not a minimum width of opening for a doorway for a new doorway in an existing dwelling besides the regs are not gospel. Coomon sense would normally kick in before a door gets too thin as it would be impractical. Who told you it may not comply anyway? If it was your building regs surveyor ask him where in the regs it says so. If you're worried you can always ring up the inspector and ask him anyway.

ps the building regs are widely available from numerous online sources eg http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html
Parts B & M are the only ones that really apply to door widths, you can dismiss part B though really and as mentioned Part M only really deals with new builds with regards to min door widths.

it is still a council house and as we make the modifications someone from contact liasons/quality control has to come out and see regularly how we are progressing, i have a different one each time but this is the first one who picked up this, but he also picked up flaws with items on the house that we haven't touched and were here when we moved in, so i'm not sure if i just got a picky one who wanted to moan. but he wants me to submit what i have already done including all my dimensions in plan form. also he has asked for a test certificate for the electrics we have had done, but that was only moving a light switch, and adding on an additional socket to the ring main, and my electrician has advised me that i dont require these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back