Am I allowed to fit elec towel rail and can it have a timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are considering installing an electric towel rail in the bathroom and wondered if this is something we are allowed to do ourselves - I understand some things now have to be done by the professionals. Also, is it possible to fit this on a time switch of some sort. Thanks for any advice. PS: cannot add towel rail to heating as we have warm air.

Sponsored Links
any electrical done in a bathroom is notifiable work. the way many get round this is to take the cable straight through the wall to outside (landing etc.)

a timeclock can be fitted if you want something like a smith's immersion timer should do the job (make sure it can carry the required current)
get the supply fitted with a 30Ma Rcd for safety
(you can get single socket sized ones for about £20 from Screwfix)

I don't think building control would look kindly on someone trying to evade notifying by putting a cable through a wall - the fixed appliance is still in the bathroom, so (at least in my book) it would count as electrical work in the bathroom.

To put it simply (lots more detail in the wiki), electrical work in a bathroom in England or Wales is classed as notifiable work under Part P of the building regs. You either need someone registered with a self certification scheme who can self certify their work to building control, or you need to notify them yourselves in advance, pay their fee, and they'll then come out and inspect and test. For something simple like putting in a towel rail, I suspect it will be cheaper for you to get a professional spark in to do it...

any electrical done in a bathroom is notifiable work. the way many get round this is to take the cable straight through the wall to outside (landing etc.)
To reinforce Rebuke's post; this is not a way around the Building Regulations on notifyable work in special locations; you must either notify in the case of DIY or use a Part P registered spark.

Sponsored Links
Or if the bathroom is large enough fit the towel rail outside what was Zone 3 in the 16th.....

Or if the bathroom is large enough fit the towel rail outside what was Zone 3 in the 16th.....
Not totally up to speed with the 17th yet but, for my understanding, isn't zone 3 relaxation dependant on now 30mA RCD protection?

All circuits installed in a bathroom or shower room should have RCD protection under the 17th edn regs, however the law still refers to items within the relevent zones in the 16th edition regs being notifiable under part p.

All circuits installed in a bathroom or shower room should have RCD protection under the 17th edn regs, however the law still refers to items within the relevent zones in the 16th edition regs being notifiable under part p.
So if you now wanted to install a towel rail in a bathroom, does that mean you automatically have to upgrade to 30mA RCD to comply with 17th edition regs?

The zones and RCD requirements etc of the current wiring regulations are nothing to do with the notification requirements in the Building Regulations.

There is no conflict between working to the 17th and notifying or not on the basis of the 16th zones still used in the definitions in the Building Regs.

The zones and RCD requirements etc of the current wiring regulations are nothing to do with the notification requirements in the Building Regulations.

There is no conflict between working to the 17th and notifying or not on the basis of the 16th zones still used in the definitions in the Building Regs.
But if your installing a towel rail (or anything else) in a special location, don't you now have to comply with the 17th which incorporates RCD protection :?:

Just trying ot understand :confused:

Yes you do.

And if the towel rail is outside what used to be Zone 3 is it not notifiable.

Blimey - it's all got a bit technical - I think I will just tell my better half to keep putting the wet towels in the tumble dryer!!!

But seriously, thanks for the info, I will get a quote from those who are properly qualified to do the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back