Halstead Boiler problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into the house with a Halstead Finest Gold. It had numerous problem inthe 4 yrs & recently, it begin to "Loud shaking noise" when HW turn on but no CH.
Q1) What could be the problem?
Q2) How to check step by step to find what cause it?
Q3) How to resolve?

The boiler's flue leave the boiler at top, turn 90 deg left into brickwall (ex external wall, out in conservatory, about 300mm away from wall, turn 90 deg up, about 250mm penetrate polycarbonate roof 25mm thick, out to external through cowl?, then external flue kit. The last owner left a manual & I checked the dimension from 1st elbow to turret? is 2245mm and within the 2300mm recomended. I try calling Halstead using the number given but hopeless.

Q4) If I consider changing the combi boiler, is it best to change to combi or condenser?
Q5) Could other made boiler fit exactly into the flue kit? just change boiler?
I do not mind adjust the piping but hope not major alterartion to flue & conservatory roof etc. Almost impossible to reroute flue any other way + can't afford if change boiler.
Q6) Any solution to this problem?
Q7) What boiler would you recommend? Vallaint,Worcester, Ferroli or others?

I am not a trademan so please explain clearly since when I try to talk to plumber people, they have little time to explain & the difficulty in getting one that can be trusted.

genuine clarification please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1 h/w heat exchanger is full of cr*p
run the hot water
3 clean it out the heat exchanger
4 condensing
5 dream on
6 no
7 worcester
enjoy :)

Hi Kevplumb from Afkanistan,

Thank for your reply.
Could you explain a little so at least/maybe I can begin to understand why it failed, the causes(water source or other cause), why I have to replace or choosing condensing, why dream on. What is the advantages +points & -points of Worcester etc

What is Afkanistan like? is life better after the liberation or full of unsatisfied & bitter people? You sound as if your pressure is about to blow the top.

Your knowledge and explanation will be much appreciated

Thanks

Any others care to comment too?

come shortly if prescott and his cronies get there way all boilers (with a few exeptions) will have to be condensing
working on that but thats another story
right you cant fit a flue thats not for that specific boiler
halsted tend to be bought by diy installers from the (sheds)
which usually means their not fitteed properly ie flushed etc
hence the snap diagnosis
could poss get by changing the heat exchanger but wouldnt bet on it

sell you a second hand one tho(slight cosmetic damage)
bullet holes :LOL:

Sponsored Links
kev, i also have heard about not being allowed to install anything other than a condencing boiler after like 2008, dont think they have set a date for it, do u know of 1?

soon as this law comes in, we got 5 years tops before lots of unhappy people are going to be phoning up complaining there nice fairly new boiler dosent work

cerrrrrrrrrrching for us

ill be fitting a nice new non condencing boiler before this law happens, one with a nice reliable cast iron heat exchanger, sod being efficent :D :D :D

Wow,

u 2 r really communicating in a alin language from a different planet or I am in a different planet.

Please slow down & enlighten me what is going on & how is all this affecting me & my boiler.

I ONLY WANT A NO FUSS BOILER FOR MY FAMILY with hot water & heating in the winter..1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....... calm .mmmmmmmmm

Maybe I should try getting into the Muslim religion first so to understand the Afkan & his gang.

eh, my point is even if u gave me a top or the range condencing boiler i would not fit it in my house

i have no boubt they will get better but most are gona cost serious money

Shaneo which planet have you been on, it's 97% gas condensers only from next April.

Some new condensers are just old designs with a second heat exchanger added so there's not much reason why they should be less reliable. Other condensers are designs which have been used for 10+ years in Germany & other countries. Nothing to be frightened of. The parts for the more complex ones will be expensive, but a diverter valve for a HFG is 150+, pcb 250, fan 150+ already.

Cleaning a DHW heat exchanger on a Halstead Finest takes about half an hour including remove and refit. I'm not convinced that "loud shaking noise" is enough for a diagnosis though!

New Halstead eg Platinum or Ace High use the same flue as the HFG so you can swap it if you want to, though check the permitted flue length. Condensers are different.

Hi Chris R,

Thanks
u seems to be more aware what is going on.
So look like from April 2005 onwards I will have to fit a Condensing boiler?

In my situation, Am I allow to allow to clean a DHW heat exchanger myself? or do I have to get a Corgi in. or a plumber can do the job?

What do u mean bu the "loud shaking noise" enough for dianosis?
What could cause the noise to begin with?
Is it incoming water pressure?
Is it incoming gas pressure?
Is it the Length if the flue?
Is it parts in the boiler itself that is dirty or clout out?
Is it insufficient air for the boiler to burn?
Is it the fan (if there is one ) not powerful enought?
Is it a thermostat?
what maybe the cause?

I mentioned that when CH is on, the "loud shaking noise" dissapear.
If CH is off, Oh boy what a shake?
Why this happens?

Enlighten me on condensing boilers. What are old design & new design?
What should I be looking for if I am required to change my boiler & if I decided to go for a condensing boiler?

Which manufacturer is riliable or value for money?

Although u mentioned HFG, pcb etc , i am afraid what are these?

I will appreciate a bit of your wisdom before I embark into the store or getting the heating Eng in. u know how much time they have for their potential customer & they tends to sell u what they want u to have. or their stock range.

Thanks

Hi

It had been along time but I amnaged to last it out until recently when the weather is good, I amnged to get a Corgi man in to have a look.

Well, He phone Halstead and Halstead told him to
1) remove the "restricter ring?" Apparently, flue length over 1.0m do not need ring.
2) Dismantle flue and refit

Both he carried out but boiler still shake when CH is off and HW turn on.
He even dismantled the vertical flue so Flue is just exit from top of boiler, turn 90 deg left and horizontally penetrated external wall, out side.
WOW! no shake!!

But as soon as reassemble with vertical flue but clean up and properly seal. shake come on when CH is off.

Can think of what else.

He suggest a new boiler. A condensing. suggested Ferroli or Glowworm

Q1) Any comment or solution/possible rescue to existing Halstead Finset Gold Combi bolier?

Q2) If have to change, which model or made recommended?
Q3) How much I will have to burn in my pocket to have a new boiler only?
Q4) How much for labour for replacing boiler only?
Q5) How much for all inclusive flue etc?

HELP please

MOD

please see item 9

Hello: I can save your clients money, and that adds extra value to the service you provide. I can repair your PCB's in my electronic's laboratory at home, I can visit you every week (or whatever) and take them here, repair them, and give them to you again.

Regards

Marcelo
=============================================
Lynda, moderator

This post is over 12 months old, please also note forum rule 12

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back