Boiler won't re-light - has a permanent pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For some reason my boiler doesn't re-light (has a permanent pilot light) - now the main cause would be to most people that the thermocouple has worn out/burnt out, as is an old boiler - but when trying to re-light i do not see a spark coming from the electrode. Why is this? Is it the crystals worn out ? - is there any way i can light the boiler or double check to see if the igniter unit is the fault? My boiler is old Potterton Flamingo wall hung, heavy looking old thing and will a new part for this boiler be available? I really need hot water and possibly heating tonight.
Thanks for reading and hopefully helping?...

Sponsored Links
ok - is it ok for me to check these, obviously i am not a reg gas installer?
if so, any tips?

If the permanent pilot isn`t relighting,it will either be a choked pilot or a fault with the pizzo igniter.Most likely a choked pilot as it has gone out.

It will need an RGI to repair it.

Don`t mess about with it yourself.

Sponsored Links
if it is the igniter then can i re-light it with a long match to get it going again as i need hot water.
by a choked filter do you mean a blocked pilot injector / injector filter?

No would be the right answer.

I would love to comment further, but IMHO, I feel that the reason people ask for advice on an open forum means they are inquisitive enough to try and mend the problem themselves. If not, they would call out a man that can, and pay yer money. Take yer choice.

ok fair enough i respect your decision as it is gas and a safety issue is here. i do understand about gas a little and would not be in danger but i understand your reasons.

so i have a blocked pilot injector / filter probably? i guess it's time for a phone call. is it a long job or can it be done quite quickly in your opinion by a pro??

From what you originally said the problem seems to be that the ignition is not sparking at the pilot flame.

Usually those issues including cleaning and readjusting the pilot flame can be done within an hour by an experienced gas engineer.

In our local area they would be covered by our fixed price repair at £84 but your area it may well be a little cheaper.

Tony

Being a DIYer, and now incurring the wrath of others, it may just need the electrode being cleared/cleaned of sooty deposits and the spark will them arc across, igniting the pilot light. (A bit like cleaning your cars spark plugs). Now that will have opened a can of worms.

But perhaps more importantly you are better asking yourself why the pilot went out in the first place, as this is a safety device :eek:

Being a DIYer, and now incurring the wrath of others, it may just need the electrode being cleared/cleaned of sooty deposits and the spark will them arc across, igniting the pilot light. (A bit like cleaning your cars spark plugs). Now that will have opened a can of worms.

Well this is a DIYer advising another DIYer on doing his own gas work!

Not only the blind leading the blind but totally inappropriate advice for obvious safety reasons!

The really bad part is that the DIYer does not have the training to know that something he has done or failed to do is dangerous.

If I ran the world, or even just this forum, then I would prohibit DIYers from giving unsafe advice!

Tony

Not only the blind leading the blind but totally inappropriate advice for obvious safety reasons!

The really bad part is that the DIYer does not have the training to know that something he has done or failed to do is dangerous.

If I ran the world, or even just this forum, then I would prohibit DIYers from giving unsafe advice!

Tony

excuse my ignorance - but why would it be dangerous if i cleaned a pilot filter ??

Tony

excuse my ignorance - but why would it be dangerous if i cleaned a pilot filter ??
because its GAS, and if you dont know what you're doing you may leave a leak of gas or fumes or burn something or disable a safety device.......

It's a safety issue that must be rectified by an RGI.

You've gained some advice from both perspectives and for the sake of £85, get the thing looked at and be safe.

At least you will be fore armed with what may be the fault :D

Taking the time off work and arranging the gas engineer, will be the hardest part of getting it fixed. Let us all know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back