Are my palm trees dead ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought 5 of these "palm trees" last summer and left them in the plantpot they came in over the winter.

I did however put them in my garage over the winter to prevent them from the bad frost we get here where I live.

I took them out last week and whilst they looked dead, since I have repotted them and gave them some sunlight, some more green has appeared.

Are they beyond help or should I cut them back ?

If I cut them back, how and where should I cut ?

Regards
Scott

o6fm8l.jpg

2dtnq5y.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have the same problem. I live in the south and normally leave mine out over winter, this winter was a bad one in the south and mine suffered. I really should have taken it in,yours does not look too bad.

In the past anything brown does not recover,

I my opinion you have done the best thing, i would leave the plant and see how it does.

you should get new leaves from the centre, and you can cut the lower leave off in you wish, cut 2 inches from the stem, do not pull the leaves off as this will do damage

Sponsored Links
Those are very young date palms, and susceptible to cold not only to the central growing spear, but also to the roots as they are in pots. Also too much water and not enough light can cause the leaves to die off, as can the movement from one place to another which it has gone through

Pull the central spear, if it comes out, then it may be dead. But having done that, still give it till mid summer to see if a new spear emerges, if not, it is dead even though parts may still be green.

You can cut any brown leaves off right at the trunk as they are not doing anything now to help the plant, also put itin light, but not direct sun for a few weeks so that it can acclimatise. Keep the soil damp but not soaking wet.

For the future, these will not be cold hardy unless in the ground for a few years and much bigger. You can leave them outside, in pots, but pull these close to the house, or other shelter in winter, and cover the central spear to protect from frost. By leaving them out, then you toughen them up for successive years

Edit

After looking at the pictures, you need to determine what variety they are. They do look a bit like the pigmy date palm Phoenix roebelenii - which is not suitable for outside in winter.

If they are the common Phoenix canariensis (Canary Island date palm) then they will be OK for outside in winter as per above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back