starting trouble, immobiliser VW Transporter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took my van to the mechanic and he sorted the handbrake cable and put in new brake pads , i went paid him took it home and parked it up.

next day it wouldn't start as before , the lights would all come on but on turning the key further to start, didn't turn over, nothing,... that is for about 7/8 times, then it started.

i took it to another mechanic who looked at it and came to the conclusion it is the ignition switch under the barrel which isn't making a connection.

when the key is turned with a bit of force the van starts ok.

is this the correct diagnosis or is he wrong??

Sponsored Links
vw's are known for having ignition switch trouble, so sounds like he's spot on.
Switches are cheap as chips but quite involved to fit

he said the cover of the underside of steering comes off and it's in that region,, not too difficult apparently, is this so?

i might have a go myself :D

depends how the switch is fitted to the key barrel / steering lock assembly.
Alot of vw's you have to take off the steering wheel, and slide the whole assembly over the steering column. Once off there is only 1 little screw, but you can only access it when steering lock is removed. There are shear bolts fitted which need drilling out (or if you're lucky can sometimes undo them with mollgrips and reuse them!), and the steering wheel boss needs a decent bearing seperator to remove from the centre shaft.

Undo the cowling under the steering wheel and all should be apparent, may have a 5 minute job, may be a 2 hr job!

Sponsored Links
whats the price of an ign. switch? is it dealer part only?

i might have a go over the weekend. ;)

the switch is peanuts.......... think the last one i bought for my golf was about £7.
Try gsf car parts, they're about the cheapest.
You can test to see if it is the switch by unplugging the old one from the loom, and plugging the new switch in and let it dangle. Use a key or screwdiver to operate the switch

right, i have taken off the cover (eventually got round to it) and there is a switch on the end of the barrel i presume this is a ignition switch,
but i,m having a littlle trouble unplugging it as it is hitting the body of the van.

and i dont want to break it, am i on the right lines or is this the wrong switch?

well i couldnt get it out and went to a mechanic who looked at it and eventually found that it was the starter as power was coming to it but on turning key for ign. didnt turn.

so i got a new starter and hey presto,,,

until two days later when the exact same prob....

he again checked and this time no power going to the starter from under the fuse board,,

he couldnt find the fault and told me it would be simpler to have a push button installed for the ign.

so he took a live from there and fitted a push button for ign.

happy days so far.

do you think i did the right thing as it was the cheapest option?.(i,m not always a cheapskate but i needed the van moving pronto.)

If it works ............... :cool:

Also will slow anyone down who tries to nick it :LOL:

hey it works a treat ;)

i thought it might help someone nik it but it,s immobilized :D

Sponsored Links
Back