Garage - How close to road?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have planning permission to replace an old asbestolux garage with a brick built one. This is on a smallish driveway running across the rear of the property. We have a driveway with parking for 3/4 cars at the front so have no need of parking at the rear.

My question is: Is there a regulation preventing me siting the garage close to the road? If I have an automatic door I can then just swing in off the road into the garage. This would allow me to have a patio at the rear of the garden where the old garage is sited rather than some redundant parking.

I just have a feeling that either planning or highways will object? The garage would open onto a short (100yrd) no through road.

any info would be great.

thanks

Trev

Sponsored Links
The planning permission you have should specify where the garage should be located - it seems like a direct replacement for the existing one?.

If you want to alter its position contrary to the permission then you may have to re-apply, or at least get a rider on the existing permission.

Planners will normally consult with a highways engineer, who will insist on a set back (equal to a typical car length) so that you don't come out of the garage straight onto a highway (which includes a path) and adequate site-lines to each side so that you and highway users can see each other

If you have permission to build a new garage but now want to move the garage further to the road you'll need to do another planning application unless the planners will let you do an amendment. If others who access this road have garages right on the road edge you know you've got a good chance. If no one else has done it I'd be surprised if you can get permission without a set-back.

thanks for the info.. I was expecting to have to go back for planning as it would be moving the garage on the plans, unfortunately no one else has garages opening directly onto the road so it sounds like it's probably a non starter?

Anyone know what the minimum I can get away with as a standard car length is? and I assume I measure it from my side of the footpath to the outside of the garage wall?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is one for garages. Realistically if someone backed out of your garage how far would they need in order to see down each side of the road and not encroach on the roadway itself? I guess 2-3m from your side of the oavement to the garage face. Difficult to answer really are there any bushes or other obstructions that mean you can't sse pedestrians on the pavement?

Yes, there is a high hedge on one side and a fence on the other, so if the garage was a couple of feet back from the footpath it would be them (hedge/fence) and not the garage that obstructed the view of the road...

So anyone with a brain could argue it wouldn't be any worse than before, however the words planners and anyone with a brain do not always gel well! They may argue that if somone could cut the bushes down at antime though. You'll have to see what highways recomend. See if you can talk to them.

It's more to do with visability splays so that the driver can see other highway uses approaching before hitting them.

You need to be able to see 2m down the path or road from a point 2m back from the back of the footpath or road. This assumes a lightly used access road used by no more than 10 cars

If this is an actual road, then the distance you need to be able to see down the road will be a minimum of 33m for a 20mph road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back