Rotten Roof Timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post so go easy on me!

I have a 200 plus year old cottage. My plan was to replace the fascias and guttering over the next couple of weeks. However taking off the existing fascias has uncovered some rotten timbers, wet. The ends of a couple of teh roof trusses are rotten, I understand i can repair these with plywood fillets etc. But worse is the wooden plate that the ends of the trusses are sitting on. This has very bad rot in several places and needs to be replaced. Is this a) easy to do, b) possibly causing further as yet undiscovered issues with the rest of the roof?

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Wet rot can be cut out and repaired,where necessary.(Dry rot is something entirely different)..Access to repair by the sounds of this may be involved.You really need to attatch photo's...for anyone to advise,as the type of roof covering needs to be assessed especially being an old cottage,and the ceilings may determine the process involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back