MAIN STOP COCK LEAKING

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been in my house for four years. Following a recent burst, the plumber turned the main stop cock off to effect a repair. When it was turned back on I noticed a very slight leak. Is this unusual or not, i.e. no problems over the years then suddenly a leak when it is turned for the first time. Also, do you know what is likely to be causing the leaK?

The leak is, in fact, more of a 'weep' in that I think an empty flora tub would go six months before it needed emptying if sat below the stop cock so I am in no hurry to repair. However, when I do eventually come to repair it, is it a case of turning the supply off on the main road to reduce the pressure while the main stop cock is repaired?

Many thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
is it leaking from the gland nut ?
nut at base of the spindle.
if so may just need nipping up. as these do get stuck to the spindle and then turn when you turn the stockcock on/off.
quite common when they haven't been touched for yrs.
squirt of wd 40 useally free's them up abit.

if not as you say shut the outside stopcock and fit a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back