Lead Flashing Alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any alternative to fitting lead flashing? We have 3m x 3m utility room on the East face of the house. Flat roof has been replaced with a pitched concrete tiled one. Obviously I now need to to waterproof the join between the tiles and the main house wall. I know the best solution is lead but I would like to avoid this as a) its expensive b) Its very nickable c) Its not easy for an amateur DIYer like myself to do properly. I've watched Youtube videos and it looks a bit of a mare + if I mess any of it up it'll cost me a wedge.

I thought the cheapest solution was a cement fillet with water proofer mixed in. Is this a good idea? Will it last any length of time? I don't really want to bodge it for the time being but if the cement lasts a few years that'll do me. If you wouldn't recommend it are there any other alternatives to this or lead flashing that are easy to fit?

Mark

Sponsored Links
have a look at this stuff! i personally have never used it but have came across it on my travels.
clicky

Thats about the best it gets if not using the real stuff - its best to use the correct primer with it though.

Sponsored Links
have a look at this stuff! i personally have never used it but have came across it on my travels.

You have never used flashband? I don't belive it.

You'll be telling us next that you have never stuck a coat rail up with gripfil, or put a window in with only expanding foam :LOL:

The OP may like to consider FormFlash from Roofguard, or a similar priduct from Ubiflex. Bizarrely, these lead alternatives are much more expensive than lead.

Lead prices have come down of late, and thefts reduced - except for properties near travellers sites. Even so unless its an exposed roof, with easy access and near any alley, the chances of the lead being nicked are low

The problem with flashband in this situation is that when stuck on the tiles, the tiles will move and could prematurely crack the flashband

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back