Foam Spraying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1920's steel framed bungalow with a high roof with asbestos tiles. The tiles are all in place and intact; the felt, though, is a crumbling mess which has been tacked up from inside the loft. The tiles are no longer available. The roof is extremely draughty. The roof space is a filthy mess.
I can't stretch to re-roofing. What do you think about spray foaming? Would it be a sensible option, given the likelihood of future problems and a wish to improve insulation in a very cold house? I'm keen to do something about it, but I don't know enough to decide what, so any views welcome.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Think twice. There have been reports of foaming lifting slates and it can also cause problwms with ventilation.

and because it glues all the cracked and broken tiles together, it becomes impractical to repair the roof. Stripping it for a reroof will cost a lot extra because of the extra work in prising it off. The timbers will probably rot as they will become sodden and not dry out.

it is a generally hateful idea,

Do a search on "spray foam" in the Roofs forum.
//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...it=drop&since=any&author=&search=Search+Forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back