2-core wiring in switch to 3-core loft 2 fluorescent lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I wanted to replace a single light-bulb in a large 2 compartment loft with 2 fluorescent tubes (2 x 58W).

I purchased 1mm*2 grey wiring (max 18W) from a local DIY store which indicated it was correct for lighting circuits.

I then laid separate wiring from where the existing light was located to the locations of the 2 fluorescent lights. I then wired these in correctly.

I then removed the light bulb and the holder to replace this with a 20A adaptor. The existing wire to the switch consist of 2-core (red & black). the new wiring is Blue, brown and earth.

I followed the wiring diagram given on the packaging but of course I cannot connect an earth from the switch as there is none.

I guess this is because the switch wiring and all the lighting circuits on the same circuit for the mains box was probably installed in the 1960s.

I am not able to switch on the fluorescent lights. Nothing happens when I depress the switch.

Is this because there is no earth for the switch?

If so, how do I solve this problem without spending squillions on an electrician to require all the lighting circuits on the upstairs of my home?

I uploaded a picture of the circuit diagram and a photo of my wiring to my album named "Lighting". Sorry these had to be taken on my mobile so they are not the best quality.

Help and advice would be very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
With all due respect, I think you might be best off getting in a qualified electrician to sort this for you....

If I understand correctly, you've put the junction box in place of the original light fitting, which just had a single cable coming in, at which point that is just live and neutral, so the red should connect to both brown wires, and the black to both blue wires, you appear to have wired your two fluorescent lights in series, which won't work.

Assuming these aren't double insulated fluorescent lights (quite unlikely), then they should not be used unless they can be earthed. The cable you have appearing at the light at the moment doesn't have an earth - it's possible that there is an earth available further back in the circuit, but unlikely, so to safely use these lights, you would probably need your lighting circuit rewired.

Also, your CPCs (the proper name for the earth wire) from your new fittings should have green/yellow sleeving over them, not just be left bare like that.

Thanks for your help.

I wired in parallel as you suggested.

I have laid a CPC (earth) wire back to a point with an earth for some ceiling lights on the same circuit.

All now works fine and I saved squillions.... :D

Sponsored Links
The instructions for the lights showed that it should all be earthed - why did you only buy 2 core cable?

I have laid a CPC (earth) wire back to a point with an earth for some ceiling lights on the same circuit.
What size?

What route?

What mechanical protection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back