Expansion joints and firestops..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to block in the extension now (it's timberframe). One wall is 14Mtr long therefore requiring two expansion joints in the blockwork.

Can I place these expansion joints adjacent to my firestops (2x2 with dpc stapled to the surface).

i.e. down the centre line of the firestop.

Spoke to an ex-builder who says "No you cant" and went on to say they are not needed! so I not sure how cosha his advise is, anyhow BCO will insist they are there.

Once again thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Why do you need two joints in 14m - one should do

Firestops do a specific job at certain places in the frame, if this coincides with the location of an expansion joint, then there is no reason why the two can't be adjacent

Blockwork is every 6m including around corners.

And if you do that, it will only go and crack some place else.

But its not bang on every 6m - ie an extra 1m is not going to make any difference, but two joints in this wall is going to weaken it unecessarily

Sponsored Links
No and, equally, putting them in at every four metres is not necessarily going to stop it cracking.

Why will it be weaker? It's a timber framed structure, so the timber frame is doing the work, the blockwork is just a veneer. It will be tied back to the frame; you just put double-intensity ties either side of the joint to stop it flapping.

Spacing should be halved from an internal or external corner, if you have any, so 3m max in that case.

Always amused me expansion joints, They want the wall to expand and contract, yet they specify, wall ties tying the two leaves, (or nailed to timber frame) at every course of blocks, or 3 courses of bricks, either side of the joint, cant see it doing much expansion or contraction myself after all that :rolleyes:

Aaaarrghhhhhhh.... not this old badger again
head_banging.gif

Always amused me expansion joints
Ain't that the truth, whatever did we do before expansion joints were dreamt up......... :rolleyes:

...They want the wall to expand and contract, yet they specify, wall ties tying the two leaves, etcl:

The wall will expand/contract along its length, and there is enough flexibility in the ties to accomodate this. The ties are intended to tie the walls together and prevent movement in the other direction.

We have some properties near us where the wall above DPC is built in some soft red brick and this has expanded over the past 40 years and overhangs the wall below DPC by 20mm at each end of the gable - so in 7m it has expanded 40mm

On some older terraces, where every second house is set back by about 1m, the walls have expanded by about 20mm or so, and cracked every return on the set back

The silly thing though, is that some bricks/blocks will cause the wall to expand more than others, so the general guidance of joints every x metres is not always necessary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back