Bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am about to tile my T&G bathroom floor. My main problem is that this room has the only toilet in the house, so time is an issue.
I had thought of removing the t&g and replacing with 25mm plywood, but now think that it would be quicker to overboard with say 12mm. I will then need to apply adhesive, tile and replace the new toilet.
Does anyone have experience of the quickest way of doing this. I also intend to fit electric ufh in this room, but clearly not under the loo, so need to take account of the extra thickness of adhesive under the rest of the tiles.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
if your putting ufh in, i assume mat version, if your overboarding too it will be far too high, best option is replace floor with 25 mm and work that wy, if you start in the am it can be done in one day.

carver - hire a chemical toilet (the sort of thing you find in caravans) do a web search for your local supplier. We often suggest these to clients if their bathroom is going to be unavailable for a couple of days (when it's impossible for us to do a temp connection for a WC). Then do the new floor installation correctly without pressure.

Wickes and B&Q sell an adhesive you can use straight on T & G. Never tried it but it's been on the market for years now so it must work.

Sponsored Links
Just cause somethings been around for a few years doesn't mean it's any good. I mean.... you've been posting on here for three and a half years! ;)

I don't understand why you think that it beyond human intelligence to make an adhesive that sticks tiles to timber. It's 40 years since the first moon landing yet you think we still can't stick tile to timber? For heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

Wickes and B&Q sell an adhesive you can use straight on T & G. Never tried it but it's been on the market for years now so it must work.
:eek:
Don't worry about it Richard - I wondered how long it would be before Joe came back to the tiling forum to annoy people. Basically, Joe's take on things would appear to be that just because someone has made a particular product and is selling it - it must therefore work perfectly well. You know that's balls, I know that's balls, most people on here know that's balls... unfortunately there may be the odd person who's not sure what they're doing and follow this "advice". This is the reason I added Joe to my ignore list ages ago. It appeared that when he realised that I was ignoring him he stopped posting on the tiling forum. He realised that there was now no one that would bother to argue with him so took to the general discussion forum, where he annoyed people on there for some time. After a spell, he stopped annoying people (around the time he posted a few links to his music playing on youtube.. which was good by the way) and that's when I removed him from my ignore list. Since then he's been ok. Then he started showing his face back on the tiling forum, albeit asking questions that he undoubtedly knew the answer to - strange I know... but then so is the man.
Now he's gone back to his old ways of talking tripe to wind people up. Whilst (to a certain degree) I can relate to this, I would not under any circumstances knowingly dish out sub-standard advice that could lead to people making expensive mistakes in both monetary and time respects.
By all means make up your own mind but if you even slightly trust my judgement, don't rise to his bait - by all means just reply and say that the information posted is incorrect, but I wouldn't bother engaging him in a discussion about a topic because he is a little more than a wind up merchant.

Have you used it? How did you find it? What happened that made you think it so bad? Do you use any other type of flexible adhesive? Why? It's just the same stuff. :rolleyes:

So you've never used it yet it flies off the shelves at the largest retailers in the country and according to you it doesn't work? What is your problem? Are you a tiler? No? Well what makes you think you know everything about modern day adhesives? Why pull up the floor if you can get by without doing it? For heavens sake you haven't even tried it. :rolleyes:

Sure you can stick tiles to practically anything with the correct adhesive, even your lawn; but when the substrate flexes to above & beyond will the adhesive stand it :confused: & when the tiles crack you know you really have got a problem :eek:

gcol; it’s OK, I know Joe's style, I’ve been here longer than him &, come to think of it, longer than you; but your still king of tiling as far as I'm concerned ;)

As I’ve said before, I don’t dislike joe & Ive never had a problem with him (yet) & I've even defended him :confused: he can make very sensible posts when he want's to ;) I think he just gets a little bored sometimes!

Who exactly is joe anyway :?: ;)

It just bugs me that he makes these statements without ever trying the stuff. How does he know it doesn't work? There's no real difference between well screwed down boards and ply. Your local independent tile supplier sells the stuff too. If it didn't work - why sell it? Surely the feedback they get would stop them from selling it. Trading Standards etc.

There's no real difference between well screwed down boards and ply.
From a structural viewpoint, there is a very big diffrerence.
Your local independent tile supplier sells the stuff too. If it didn't work - why sell it?
Erm, the same reason the sheds sell carp gear, cos it’s very profitable :LOL:
Surely the feedback they get would stop them from selling it. Trading Standards etc.
Doesn’t work like that but we can only try ;) ; most folks trust what they buy from what they believe to be a reputable source & how many who actually use sub-standard products would have the nunce to work out it’s the same products that actually caused their problems! & if a “tradesman” is using it, they won’t have a clue wtf is going on. Trading Standards won’t be interested & you’d have to be a very brave (& presumably very rich) person to try & prove it from a technical viewpoint in court!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back