help with roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just getting info so I plan the roof build on my shed.

wall to wall it is 4.85m x 5.7m, being built in 6" blocks

What i need to know, is ridge, rafter and wall plate sizes. Ive seen 6x2 in our local yard for £6 for 3.6m lengths. 8x2 4.8m length for £11.

I want the ridge beam going along the short length, so the rafters have a shorten span.

is 6x 2 fine for the rafters, and can this be used for the ridge?
What size should wall plate be?
Do i need restraint straps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
4"x 2" would be ok for the wall plate though i prefer 4" x 3" (tanalised).

Holding down straps will be useful every 2m, restraint straps will be needed on a masonry gable end.

What pitch do you intend setting the roof?

You want the ridge beam across the longest run to give the shortest rafter length.:confused:
I.e. 4850 divided by 2 gives a 2425 run. At say 25 degrees this will equate to a 2668mm long rafter. A 6"x2" will eat it.

You will also need joists or collars to stabilize the roof. 4.8m is a fair span.

What ever you use for the rafters the ridge beam needs to be deeper, but not necessarily the same thickness. This is so the whole ridge-plumb cut is seated on the ridge beam.

4"x 2" would be ok for the wall plate though i prefer 4" x 3" (tanalised).

Holding down straps will be useful every 2m, restraint straps will be needed on a masonry gable end.

What pitch do you intend setting the roof?

You want the ridge beam across the longest run to give the shortest rafter length.:confused:
I.e. 4850 divided by 2 gives a 2425 run. At say 25 degrees this will equate to a 2668mm long rafter. A 6"x2" will eat it.

You will also need joists or collars to stabilize the roof. 4.8m is a fair span.

What ever you use for the rafters the ridge beam needs to be deeper, but not necessarily the same thickness. This is so the whole ridge-plumb cut is seated on the ridge beam.

I have concrete tiles, so thought of 25deg

I I put the ridge along the longest part, the roof doesnt look nice, plus I would need a 6m ridge beam.

I thought 8x2 for the ridge beam, 6x2 for the rafters.

As its only a shed, collars rather then joists.

Do I face-nail rafters to ridge beam?
Also do I have to birdsmouth the rafter or can I use truss clips?

I have concrete tiles, so thought of 25deg
Anything from 25-45 degrees is within the realms of conc' tiles though 25 degrees is more sheddish.
I I put the ridge along the longest part, the roof doesnt look nice, plus I would need a 6m ridge beam.
A ridge beam can be joined.
I thought 8x2 for the ridge beam, 6x2 for the rafters.
Sounds good.
As its only a shed, collars rather then joists.
Cool.

Do I face-nail rafters to ridge beam?
Face nail, eh? You just bank a spike through the top and skew one each side.

Also do I have to birdsmouth the rafter or can I use truss clips?
Truss clips are only suitable for trusses, yes you need to b/m over the wall plate.

Sponsored Links
All sounds good

Just need to look into how to birdsmouth correctly and how to cut rafter overhang correctly so to put facia board

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back