Do I have to replace a Fire Door with a Fire Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the internal door that leads from the hallway to the lounge. Currently it has fifteen glass panels and is 44mm thick, it is very heavy and I believe it is a Fire Door. The house was built in 1988 and the main downstairs internal doors are all this thick (hall to kitchen, hall to dining room and hall to garage).

Is there anything saying that I can's put a standard 35mm door in it's place? (Albeit with some minor adjustment to the frame of course). The design of door that we want does not seem to be available at 44mm thick and where it is available it is made to order an v expensive.

Would the same apply for the door from hall to kitchen?

Thanks,
Gary.

Sponsored Links
Fire doors usually have a stamp on them to say they are a fire door and what rating they are.If the doors not been painted have a look.
It may just be thicker to support the weight of the glass.

A two-storey house, only requires a firedoor between an attached garage and the house

Your 15 panel door is not a fire door in anycase

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,

Yes it's a two storey house.

woody is that stated in the Building Regs then?
I know that our internal door to garage is definitely Fire Rated, others are 44mm thick but do not look anything special so would make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back