Help with surface drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've attached an image to this post to help illustrate what I'm saying as, no doubt, I'll talk myself in circles here.

We have a waste pipe (sink, dishwasher, w/machine), which runs along the back of our house to the pre-existing drain. The pipe was covered in concrete with a channel for surface water scored into it. The yard slopes towards the house.

The concrete is flush against the wall but there are some holes in it, so the surface water drains down these (not intentional). When the rain is very bad it also runs into the air brick as that's only just above floor level. In fact, hardly any of the water goes down the drain.

I've been researching my options and would like some advice on what's best to do.

As far as I can tell I'm not actually allowed to put a linear channel in as this would have surface water running in to the dirty water drain? Is this right?

If so, can I dig a trench, treat the wall below and fill it with gravel? If so what depth should I go to? Should I put a membrane in to protect the wall.

Or, should I put some sort of pre-fromed concrete channel in to simply protect the wall? Is there any point to this as the water would just sit in the channel?

Any advice and or better solutions most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Lower the drain.

Lower the yard with falls to the drain.

Prevent water from going into the air brick by kerbing it off.

Foul and storm should not be mixed, however, if there is no alternative then it becomes acceptable. Alternatives being a soakaway, a natural watercourse or a storm water system.

Soakaways are considered as first choice where applicable, i.e where geography and ground drainage allows. The soakaway would need to be 5m away from any building.

Thanks for the reply,

I was hoping for a less, shall we say, labour intensive solution.

Aren't we all?

Will have to reassess what I was going to do and get professional help in!

Have the falls in the yard always been this way?
If historically the yard was originally draining into the drain (but doesn't now for reasons not apparent?) then you can just stick an ACO in and feed it into the drain run. Not ideal but cheaper and easier than re-grading the whole yard and if it did it before there's nothing stopping you draining it down into that drain run now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

According to the neighbour, there used to be proper formed flag stones with a shallow channel that ran to the drain, but the kitchen was moved from left to right and a new pipe laid, to run back to the original drain.

The flag stones were dug up to lay the new pipe and concrete poured over rather than flag stones. So, really it's only become an issue because of the concrete. There's a channel scored into the concrete, but on top of it running slightly up towards the drain! there are holes in it, so most of the water is going down these.

The surface water will certainly have always run into the drain, but I'll check with building regs. just to be on the safe side.

The surface water will certainly have always run into the drain, but I'll check with building regs. just to be on the safe side.
Then there is no issue with draining what you've got back down there, either ACO if it won't disturb the drain beneath it or relay to correct the falls.
Or drill some more holes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back