Crack in wall and rainwater leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an external wall following on from the boundary wall. When the (brick) wall and (block) extension was built about 4 years ago the builder put in a DPM in the extension wall at the same level as the boundary wall, but left a bit sticking out and cement/sand plastered over it. Now there is a crack along (about 4 metres long) where the DPM sticks out on the extension. Water has seeped in through the crack and what looks like salty deposits has appeared on the internal plaster.

Whats the best way to fix the problem on the outside and inside of the extension wall?

Sponsored Links
You need to trim the DPC off, and point the joint. Then make sure that the render has a proper bellcast which does not cross the DPC, but is angled sufficiently to cast water away from it.

Sponsored Links
I was going to do something like.

Outside wall:
Take off render
Cut back the DPC
Apply salt neutraliser
Re-render with sand/cement

Inside wall:
Take off plaster
Apply salt neutraliser
Replaster

Does that sound ok?

The drip detail at the DPC is the most important.

Applying salt nuetraliser externally will do nothing, and hacking off good render is a waste of time unless it needs to be removed

OK for the outside render. What about the internal plaster, its bubbling and I can see white (salty) deposits. I was going to use the neutraliser to get rid of the salt and then replaster, what should I do instead?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back