Fireproofing a temporary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have been asked to build a stud wall with a door across an open garage space in an underground car park in a block of flats as a temporary storage unit.
I just intend to build the frame and fix MDF or ply sheets to both sides.
Can I get a spray or brush on anti fire solution to make this wall fireproof?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
metal caladding and / or fireproof plasterboard and / or double layer of plasterboard..

why does it have to be fireproof if it's just for storage?

metal caladding and / or fireproof plasterboard and / or double layer of plasterboard..

why does it have to be fireproof if it's just for storage?

Rules state that garage owners may not store flamable items, eg: furniture,wood etc: in the garage spaces as there are flats overhead.
I need to build a cheap temporary wall with door.
Cheapest way is wood and ply.
But ideally it should be fireproof.

lol.. you are kidding right?

can't store flammible items..

ok then, you must empty your car of all traces of fuel before pushing it into the garage.. :rolleyes:

there's more chance of your car exploding than of a table spontaneously combusting..

also, the floor between the garage and flat above should be suitable fire rated..

just stick a metal clad wall up..

Sponsored Links
ColJack";p="1202571 said:
lol.. you are kidding right?

can't store flammible items..

ok then, you must empty your car of all traces of fuel before pushing it into the garage.. :rolleyes:

there's more chance of your car exploding than of a table spontaneously combusting..

Iknow, crazy huh?
Not my rules though.
I suspect that they introduced this rule just to stop people using the garages to store tons of old furniture and houshold items rather than prevent the risk of fire.
But If I don't attempt to put up a fireproof wall then people will ask questions as to why they can't store thier old sofas and beds.

You're confusing fire proof, with fire resistance.

You wont build a fireproof wall in timber, but you could build a wall which is fire resistant for a given period of time.

You are talking about building this cheaply, so there is no reason to use any specific fire resistant MDF or plasterboard, as normal MDF or plasterboard will be adequate.

The original plan to use MDF or ply will be adequate to build this wall with sufficient fire resistance.

Also, you don't mention the door or frame, or the junction (gaps) around your proposed new wall. So its' no good going OTT and building a bombproof wall, and then forgetting the door, frame and seals which will compromise the whole wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back