Corroding cement around windows outside

S

skuba

The lower half of our house is standard brick, and the upper half has rendering which is painted white. Around our windows some of the paint has flaked off and it looks a mess as you can see the cement. If you touch the cement it just crumbles away like sand! I'm a bit worried about what we need to do to get it sorted

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of house is it? Can you post a pic.

Hi John

It's a 2 bed semi. I'm at work at the moment but as soon as I go home I'll take a picture and upload it

The problem I have is that I want to put the house on the market ASAP, and there's no way I could paint the rendering that's crumbling away so I'm in a bit of a pickle :(

Thanks

What I am trying to establish really is if we are talking about a concrete or a traditional built house. I suspect it's traditional and the problem is with a poor render coat that could easily be repaired. But there's an outside chance it may be a concrete structure which might mean the problem is more difficult to deal with. When was it built - that would help.

Sponsored Links
hi john

here are 4 pictures showing the problem at the front and back of the house. i think it was built sometime around WW2...
3472843784_6f2a1ce99d_o.jpg

3472843872_654e3074f5_o.jpg

3472036569_77051c3587_o.jpg

3472843706_6e648e99b7_o.jpg

It looks like the defective render was replaced by the window fitters when they put in the new windows. They probably used a weak mix with building sand and did it in one coat. This used to be quite a common problem when new windows were fitted. The bit around the windows needs hacking off and rendering by a plasterer.

thanks for the info stuart

do you have any idea roughly how much time it would take a decent plasterer to do the job? and approximately how much it would cost? also, would a regular internal plasterer be able to do the job? or do you need a special external plasterer/builder?

thanks again

Any time served plasterer would be able to do that job. Although not a big job he would have to come back to put the second coat on, so a couple of short days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back